Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Vista Product Key

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:14 PM

i am reloading vista using an iso on a computer that originally had vista,

the product key tag on the computer is not readable any more, how can i activate?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:01 PM

A program called Belarc Advisor the report will useually have the product key but some systems I have heard it may not be the whole key.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#3 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:05 AM

A program called Belarc Advisor the report will useually have the product key but some systems I have heard it may not be the whole key.

i can't use a program like that, vista has been freshly installed, so there currently is no product key to find,

looks like this is a hopeless cause, seeing as vista does not seem to activate automatically like windows 7 would,

this blows

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:57 AM

If Vista was installed using the OEM's Vista recovery disk with SLP key then activation would be automatic. If you downloaded an iso and used that to install Vista then you would need to use the key on the COA sticker but activation would need to be done via phone. There is a way to add the SLP key and OEM certificate (.xrm-ms) to activate but you need to Google that. I don't think that is allowed on the forum. If you have another computer with the same version of Vista and OEM manufacturer you can extract the OEM certificate. Note: The SLP key used by an OEM is exactly the same for all installs of the same version of Vista. It uses the SLIC table in BIOS and the OEM certificate to self activate.

Since Vista will no longer be supported after April 2017 you may want to look at installing a linux distro like Mint or Ubuntu. Vista was basic junk. I think you will have a better experience with Mint or Ubuntu but the computer would need a minimum of 1GB or RAM.

#5 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:32 AM

it is a dell computer,

and i DO HAVE another dell computer running the exact same vista, but that computer was loaded with a vista iso file, does that matter?

can you explain how i can do this?

Edited by mikey11, 17 November 2015 - 11:33 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,996 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:36 AM

I don't think it is allowed on the forum. Google dell oem certificate xrm-ms. That should get you started.

Edit: If the Dell has the exact version of Vista you may want to try Token Manager. Backup the Activation files on the other Dell and import them into the new install.

http://joshcellsoftwares.com/products/advancedtokensmanager/

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 November 2015 - 11:37 AM.

#7 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:48 PM

thanks.....this looks a bit to complicated for me, and not even sure it would work

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,996 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:00 PM

Are you talking about the Advanced Token Manager? You would basically copy the Activation files on the one dell and restore them on the other. I would advise you to get rid of Vista though. Take a look at Mint Cinnamon 17.2 LT. You can run the distro off a USB or DVD to see how you like it.

#9 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:34 PM

Are you talking about the Advanced Token Manager? You would basically copy the Activation files on the one dell and restore them on the other. I would advise you to get rid of Vista though. Take a look at Mint Cinnamon 17.2 LT. You can run the distro off a USB or DVD to see how you like it.

i tried the token manager program you suggested, when i ran it on the computer with windows vista activated, it de-activated my windows license,

i had to use system restore to get it activated again,

i appreciate your help but i am quite happy with windows vista, have been using it for many years

Edited by mikey11, 17 November 2015 - 05:36 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,996 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:12 PM

Sorry for the problem with Advanced Token Manager. I am out of suggestions other than ordering a set of Recovery Disks that would let you automatically activate Vista, sorry.

I just don't understand how Advanced Token Manager would cause you to lose activation when only doing a backup.

Edit: The computer that you are reloading Vista with the iso has Vista currently running on it?

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 November 2015 - 06:17 PM.

#11 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:53 AM

both computers were given to me a few years ago without hard drives,

i had a couple of hard drives sitting around,

so the first computer i put a hard drive in it, loaded vista with an ISO file and activated it with the product code on the computer and it worked, this was last year and i have been using the computer ever since,

now im basically trying to do the exact same thing with the second computer, the sticker on this computer says windows vista just like the first computer, but i can not read the product code :ranting:

i have vista loaded on it and running, its just not activated,

the only activation choice i have is to enter the code

Edited by mikey11, 18 November 2015 - 08:55 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,996 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:02 AM

Okay, I understand now. If the first computer had the original OS with the SLP key then Advanced Token Manager would have worked but because you reinstalled the OS and used the code on the side of the computer, you no longer have the SLP key and OEM certificate on the activated computer. 

Other than doing what I posted regarding adding the SLP key and OEM certificate which is not possible as your activated computer no longer has them, I do not know what else to advise except perhaps calling Dell and asking for a set of Recovery Disks, sorry. They should supply them for a nominal cost.

#13 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:52 PM

Since there is no previous OS would not just entering the product key that he does have work on that PC?

A little shadey maybe but there is no information to check against on that PC and it is a valid number. Would it not authorize as a brand new install?

Just saying.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,996 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:00 PM

Since there is no previous OS would not just entering the product key that he does have work on that PC?

A little shadey maybe but there is no information to check against on that PC and it is a valid number. Would it not authorize as a brand new install?

Just saying.

If the computers are identical, it may work. The one computer is activated with the COA sticker key. If the computers have identical hardware then Microsoft may think the key is being activated again on the same computer.  

#15 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:09 PM

Now they do seem pretty serious on the same hardware.  My recovery discs I just bought say the same thing also right down to having the same size memory. I will have to remove 1 stick of my memory according to the instructions.

This may or may not be a problem since the HDD was supposed to be changed and I will have to change the cd/dvd writer.

Right now  my biggest problems is getting the boot screen up and last more than about a second and a half.  So far I have been unable to press the next keys fast enough before windows starts to load.  When the boot screen comes up at all which is not all of the time.lol

I need to add the disk management; device manager all say the hardware has no issues and the correct drivers.

Edited by dannyboy950, 18 November 2015 - 03:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users