Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with windows 10 upgrade and loss of sound

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lakersm

lakersm

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:41 PM

I recently upgraded to windows 10 on my HP 15-f009wm laptop that had windows 8. And lost the sound. I get sound out of the headphone jack but not the speakers. Not sure if it is a driver issue (which i thought i updated correctly) maybe not. Or if it is just a setting that needs to change. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:27 PM

I ask the following without a trace of snark intended:  Could the speakers be muted?

I have a HP 15-g035wm that had Windows 8.1 that has been upgraded to Windows 10, now including the fall update, and is working fine.  However, this laptop has an indicator light on the keyboard (on the f6 key, which is used to mute/unmute the speakers) which makes it easy to tell that they are muted.  Is your volume icon showing in the system tray at the lower right?  If so, what does it look like?  Here are screen captures of mine in sound on:

and muted states:

Attached File  System_Tray_Partial_Sound_Off.JPG   9.92KB   0 downloads

Is anything odd looking, such as a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it, in front of your speakers in Device Manager?  This is a screen capture of Device Manager for my fully functioning speakers:

Attached File  Speakers_in_Device_Manager.jpg   84.3KB   0 downloads

What do things look like in Volume Mixer, which you bring up by right clicking on the volume icon in the system tray?:

Attached File  Volume Mixer.jpg   32.3KB   0 downloads

These are a few things to check on to see if anything looks amiss.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 lakersm

lakersm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:35 AM

Things i have done:

1. checked mute

2. checked volume

3. checked most up to date driver 

4. Reinstalled driver from HP

5. checked settings when right clicking on sound icon and going through sound window and playback tab (with green check on speakers).

Could maybe be a setting i'm missing somewhere. I was told to try a 8.1 driver on windows 10. will that work and how do i find it?

Thanks for any help

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,108 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:05 AM

You typically find the drivers for the hardware on your particular machine through the manufacturer's website.  I would go to HP Support for your particular model and see what they've got listed in drivers for your sound card.

If there's more than one driver listed I'd work my way backward from the most recent to see if any of them solve your problem.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 lakersm

lakersm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:09 PM

sorry for the slow response had to work. ive tried all drivers i could find and still nothing. Just in the headphones works. I tried using the hp support assistant and nothing. ive called hp and they advise the computer is upgradable. not sure what to try next. any ideas? Thanks 

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,108 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:51 PM

My next step would be to go to the sound card manufacturer's site and see if they have updated drivers.

This is one of those really vexing problems and I'm running out of ideas.  If you right click on the system tray volume icon and select "Playback Devices" from the pop up, and are playing a CD, do you see any activity on the meter next to speakers?   If you click on the sounds tab and try to play any windows notification sound (Asterisk is fine) do you get any sound?

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 ellittle678

ellittle678

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:21 AM

Have you tried changing the bit rate for the speakers? I've been seeing it to be a common fix.

If not, steps here http://wccftech.com/fix-windows-10-no-sound-issues/

#8 lakersm

lakersm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:01 AM

Thank you for all the responses. I have already tried all ideas listed to no avail. I am truly stuck at this point. I will see if a new driver comes out soon that might be a fix. Until then Thanks again for all the responses. 

#9 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 02:55 PM

I have the same problem with my desktop PC. What I do is right click on the speaker icon in the task bar, go to Playback Devices, and switch to Speakers (double click) in the drop down list, then click on OK then Apply.

However, if I need to use my headphones again, I have to switch back to them before they will work!

Edited by Willabong, 21 November 2015 - 02:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users