Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Webcam Detection Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Thovian

Thovian

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:57 AM

Hello!

I am using an Asus Vivobook s550ca running windows 10. I ran ubuntu 15.04lts on it beforehand and the webcam worked fine on all applications. Now that I've upgraded to Windows 10 (I previously ran Windows 8.1, it didn't work on that one either), the webcam is no longer being detected. It is not under Device Manager in the Imaging Devices node. It is not located or hinted at in any driver at all. I even got two separate driver scanning and detection programs and they are not finding anything that even remotely suggests a webcam is present.

I've checked the connections and everything else regarding it. I'm aware that sometimes these webcams can be run by chipset drivers, but even then, I have no clue where to start.

Any help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:28 PM

Have you tried going into Control Panel->Device Manager and hitting the "Scan for Hardware Changes" button?:

[attachment=173065:Device_Mgr_Scan_Hardware_Button.jpg]

This problem is really odd since virtually any built-in webcam I've ever seen is a plug-n-play device.  If this doesn't help then I'd suggest going to the ASUS website and searching to see if any new Windows 10 drivers have been released for your webcam on your laptop (or even if any relatively recent ones have, then try installing that driver and see if that forces the device to be detected).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 Thovian

Thovian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:46 PM

I've tried all of that plus more. Deleting the corrupt or out of date drivers, allowing window to reinstall them, updating the hardware, everything. Unless Windows somehow caused some type of surge and fried my webcam, I'm not sure what's happening.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:10 PM

Well, if it didn't work under Win8.1, and the computer came loaded with Win8.1, I don't know what to tell you that can help you now.

That sort of malfunction should never have happened and the manufacturer should have repaired or replaced the machine under warranty.  I know that it's too late for that now.

There is no logical explanation (or at least none that I can think of) why Linux would recognize the presence of the hardware and Windows in two versions does not.

I really hope that someone else might have an insight into what else you might do to solve this issue, or be able to be definitive about it being insoluble - and why.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users