Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't connect to my Homegroup, even with the correct password.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:14 AM

I originally posted this question out on the Networking forum, but got no response there so I'm hoping that one of the Windows 7 experts may be able to shed some light on the problem.

I just finished putting together a new computer using an ASUS B150M-A D3 motherboard and Windows 7 64-bit OS at the SP1 level. I want to connect it to my home network. I have a Netgear router that supports 4 wired Ethernet connections and 8 wireless connections. I have my other desktop computer connected to it with a wired connection and it was the one that I originally used to create the Homegroup several years ago. I also have 3 ROKU players, one Logitech Revue box, a Kindle Fire tablet, a laptop computer, and a printer connected wirelessly. The printer is also connected directly to the desktop computer via a USB cable. At the moment, only the ROKU players and Revue box are active on the wireless.

I plugged the new computer into the back of the router with a wired connection and found that I could access the internet without any problem. I then opened the Networking section of Windows 7 and attempted to join the Homegroup. When requested, I entered the Password that I use for all of the wireless devices in the Homegroup. I received an error message telling me that the password was not correct. I went to the original desktop computer, opened the Networking section and then selected "Show or Print Password". The password that was displayed was not the password that I use to admit wireless devices into the Homegroup. It appeared to be a group of 10 randomly selected letters and numbers. "Okay, no problem, if Windows says that this is the Homegroup password, that's what I'll use." So I went back to the new computer and used this password to try to join the Homegroup, but I still received the message that the password is not valid. I checked the password carefully for errors, but subsequent tries still resulted in the same error message. Can anyone shed some light on why, when I'm using the correct Homegroup password that I still am told the the password is not correct.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,026 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:33 AM

Check this  thread. It may be due to an incorrect time on the computer. Make sure both computers times are synced. Also make sure both computers have the same time zone.

If the above does not work delete the Homegroup on the original computer. Create a new one and then add the new computer to Homegroup. Does that work? 

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:20 PM

John,

Well, I think that I may have fumbled my way through it with the help of the thread that you posted in the link above. One of the users said that he changed his Homegroup password and that allowed the new computer to connect when the Homegroup password was entered. I tried that and I was able to connect my new computer. Now my laptop couldn't access the other computers, so I got a brainstorm and decided to Leave the Homegroup on the laptop and then join it again. This worked. When I was prompted for the Homegroup password, I entered it and now the laptop can access the other computers successfully.

Thanks for all of the help.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,026 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:27 PM

Your Welcome,

Glad you were able to get it sorted out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users