Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Damaged windows 7 product key sticker. What can I do?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:42 AM

The product key on the sticker on the bottom of my laptop has become unreadable, I also don't have the key used on any current installation of windows, and to my knowledge the key is not stored in bios or anything like this. I'd given up on it as the key was for a foreign language version of windows that I didn't want anyway but now I want to use it to install windows 10.

I've taken a macro photo of it and enhanced it as much as I could and have a good idea for most of the code, although the last 10 digits are pretty worn out so I am not sure. The bar code above it also seems in usable condition, although I don't know if it is possible to get the code back from this.

Does any anyone have any suggestions? Does microsoft have any page where I could "try" possibilities of the key to see if I could guess it right from what is left of the sticker?

Also does anyone have any idea what on earth the 10th to last character is on the sticker? This is the one I really don't have a clue what it is.

Attached Files

Edited by noz03, 16 November 2015 - 09:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:08 AM

Download Produkey. The key on the sticker would not work anyway. Microsoft quit using the COA sticker for activation a long time ago. The key on an OEM computer is not the same as what is shown on the sticker. The key that Produkey finds works with the SLIC table in BIOS to automatically activate the computer when using the OEM recovery disks.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

I would also backup your activation files with Advance Token Manager which will also give you the key. 

#3 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:40 PM

Download Produkey. The key on the sticker would not work anyway. Microsoft quit using the COA sticker for activation a long time ago. The key on an OEM computer is not the same as what is shown on the sticker. The key that Produkey finds works with the SLIC table in BIOS to automatically activate the computer when using the OEM recovery disks.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

I would also backup your activation files with Advance Token Manager which will also give you the key. 

I'm sorry but I don't really understand. I guess this is a software that can find out what key was used to install a current version of windows, but I do not have this version of windows installed any longer and the laptop doesn't have any restore partitions to reinstall it with either :(

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:03 PM

Okay, then you will need to call Toshiba and ask them for a set of Recovery Disks or use Produkey on another Toshiba Computer that is running Windows 7 and use that. All keys used by an OEM are the same for each version of Windows 7. They are called SLP keys. In fact, you could use produkey on any Windows 7 OEM computer for that matter. Use the key found to download Windows 10 but I am not sure that it works for SLP keys.

Edit: I should clarify that Windows can be activated using the COA sticker but it needs to done by phone. Online Activation will not work using the key on the COA sticker.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 November 2015 - 03:11 PM.

#5 brandotehblack

brandotehblack

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:03 PM

It's possible that you may have a recovery partition on your computer. Are you able to boot into Windows at all? If you can you should be able to see a seperate drive on your computer. You can tell by booting into Windows, then going into My Computer, and there should be a second hard drive there, that is labelled "Recovery" or something similar. If you can't see that, then I suggest you go with what JohnC_21 said to do, and just purchase the recovery CD's/USB. It probabaly isn't more than $40 or $50.

#6 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:48 AM

Worse comes to worse you can always call Microsoft and purchase a new product key.  

But, I completely understand if you only want to do that as a last resort.   :thumbsup:

#7 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:20 PM

Dont know if this helps

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/help/genuine/product-key#T1=tab01

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users