Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Obtaining an item description automatically on Excel

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sanpt7777

sanpt7777

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:10 AM

Hello guys,

I have a quick question:

Is it possible to write an item code like "IT48TA" and get as a result a full description of the item in the following cell?

I'm working on an Excel worksheet for quotes at my dad's furniture store, so if a customer asks for a quote on different items, I'd like to make things super easy for my dad so he goes to the file and fills the item box, which ideally would give him automatically the description of the item on one cell and the price in other. Then he just has to print the quote and hand it to the customer without much wait.

I have all the descriptions and items in other file, but you have to copy everything from there and it's a slow process.

Thanks!

Edited by sanpt7777, 16 November 2015 - 12:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sanpt7777

sanpt7777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:55 PM

I finally came to what seems as a good solution, the VLOOKUP function  :thumbsup:

The probem is it is telling me I have a wrong value.

It is as follows:

C19:C38 is the cell range where the Item number goes. I want to type an item there and then get my description for the item in D19:D38. Price goes in G19:G38.

The arguments are confusing. I'm also looking to keep all the data on Sheet2 to keep it hidden and avoid print by mistake.

I can provide my Excel file or screenshots if needed.

Thanks

Edited by sanpt7777, 16 November 2015 - 02:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users