Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase template: New laptop to replace 5 year old laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:24 PM

Current OS:  Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, SP1
Current laptop: ASUS K52F, Memory 4GB, Hard drive 500 GB, Processor Intel Core i3 M370 @ 2.40 GHz, Screen 15 inch (diagonal), Display 1366 x 768

My current laptop is 5 years old & has provided great service. However not knowing how much longer it will last, I want to be proactive and start researching a new laptop.

Template:
Laptop
Budget:  < $700
OS: Windows 10 (OS on current laptop is Windows 7 Home Premium)
Primary uses & software: Web surfing, coding (C, VBA), watching movies (via DVD & streaming), Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc. When watching movies I connect the laptop to an external 22 inch HD monitor.
No gaming
Will not have multiple programs running at same time
Store lots of pictures & music
No overclocking
Laptop screen size of 14 inch or more
Laptop connects to 22 inch HD display (currently ViewSonic VX2250)
Peripherals: none required

I would appreciate recommendations as follows:

(1) Manufacturer - which ones have the best customer service ? (ASUS customer service has not been good to me)

(2) Which manufacturer has the best reliability? I want the laptop to last for many years.
(3) Memory - how much?
(4) CPU - which series (eg: Intel Core i5?)
(5) CPU speed?
(6) Hard drive speed?
(7) Flash cache necessary?
(8) 3 USB 3.0 ports
(9) Any other characteristics I should consider?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:07 AM

What are you doing with this laptop?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:12 PM

As I indicated in the template above:  

Primary uses & software: Web surfing, coding (C, VBA), watching movies (via DVD & streaming), Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc. When watching movies I connect the laptop to an external 22 inch HD monitor.
No gaming

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,885 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:53 AM

I'm posting the following with absolutely no snark intended:

1.  If you can find any laptop that's not aimed at very specific high-end niche markets with 3 USB 3.0 ports please tell us what that ends up being.  I have yet to see any laptop at the various big box office or electronic stores that has more than a single USB 3.0 port.  (What's even more annoying to me is that it appears that the convention of using the blue connector color is passing into history even though you have a mix of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 on the same machine.)

2.  Given your requirements (with the exception of the three USB 3.0 ports) you can really be looking at the low end of the price spectrum and should consider machines with decent APUs in your "what might I buy" list as well.  I'm currently using what is a pretty low-end HP 15-g035wm and it's more than up to the list of tasks you give.  I stream content via Chromecast while doing other stuff on the machine and it never "burps" (at least not due to anything it can control).

I also think you probably have years of life left in your current laptop if it has not been subject to physical abuse.  Most of what kills laptops is rough handling (and I mean genuinely rough).  If it spends most of it's time being given reasonable care when being moved from place to place, not dropped in particular, it will likely go on and on and on.

As to which company or companies have "good support," I have yet to find one that I think has good support, at least at the front lines.  It's like they pick random people from the street who can read the script they specify rather than people who can flesh out what might be going on by listening to you and considering the information presented.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users