Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could use some help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Novice167

Novice167

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:10 PM

Hi,   My history with INTERNET SECURITY hasn't been smooth sailing.   Recently while having work done on my PC they removed my AVG Free and put on AVAST FREE and Microsoft Essentials .  I then upgraded to the AVAST INTERNET SECURITY. (Thinking that would be better.)  Because the AVAST then had FIREWALL protection, I removed the Essentials. 

Issue:   When I run an AVAST scan the results are: SOME FILES COULD NOT BE SCANNED.  There is no indication if anything was successfully scanned or not.  Files not scanned that are listed in the details number around 30 - 40 on the QUICK SCAN and pages of them for a FULL scan.  (I would guess upwards of 1000 files or more.)

I contacted AVAST being it was a new install,  but they said they couldn't assist, but I could pay $179.00 and they would review.  I passed on that.

1.   I have noticed that in Internet Options under manage Add-Ons it shows AVAST as disabled,  could that be the problem?

I did add Malwarebytes yesterday (full version) that scan was clean. 

2.  Since Malwarebytes full program is real time, will it conflict with the Internet Security??

I don't have much faith in AVAST and If I can't get a comfort level that AVAST is actually doing anything I would like to remove it and move on to something else.  I know everyone has an opinion on this,  but perhaps with your experience you can help me find what I need. 

3.    I would like a program that is not overly techie with the results.  When they give lists of things that are potential problems for me decide what to delete,  well that can lead to unfortunate issues!   I want it to be thorough, but NOVICE PROOF.  :bananas:  What are your suggestions?

4.  Do I need a removal program for the AVAST?

Thanks so much for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:23 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not an anti-virus program so there should not be any conflicts. Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like anti-virus software so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute. The following quote is a statement from the Malwarebytes Team.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

Larry Tate
Product Support

A similar statement is in this Malwarebytes HelpDesk Article: Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software?

Files that are showing in a security scan log as being locked, skipped, unable to open, not tested, unable to scan, etc usually are not indicative of a malware infection.

"Object is locked skipped", "File locked", "Locked file. Not tested", "file cannot be accessed, "Access Denied", "Some files could not be scanned", "file could not be opened", "Error Opening", "Password Protected" or "Encrypted" notations in an anti-virus/anti-malware scan are not uncommon. Some files and services are locked by the operating system or running programs during use for protection, so scanners cannot access them. Other legitimate files, especially those used by security programs, may be obfuscated, encrypted or password protected in order to conceal itself so they do not allow access as a protective measure. When the scanner finds such an object, it makes a note and then just skips to the next one. That explains why it may show with such notations but no action taken in certain anti-virus or anti-malware log scan reports. These are normal when using many security scanning programs so there is seldom a need for concern.Note: It is not unusual for an anti-virus or anti-malware scanner to have problems with or be suspicious of compressed, archived, .cab, .rar, .jar, .iso, and packed files because they have difficulty reading what is inside them. These kind of files often trigger alerts by security software using heuristic detection because they are resistant to scanning (difficult to read). This resistance may also result in some scanners to stall (hang) on these particular types of files or just ignore (skip) them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:27 PM

If you have not done so already, you may want to read:
Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Steps for Replacing your Anti-virus
Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

Be sure to read the IMPORTANT NOTE about not using more than one anti-virus program in the first topic link.

If you decide to remove avast, refer to these resources.avast_clear_safemode.png

BTW...I deleted your duplicate topic.

#4 Novice167

Novice167
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:18 PM

Thank you so much for the info and for deleting the duplicate, I wondered where it went..

Lastly,  do I need to enable the AVAST add-on, or is that not needed?

Thank you again for all the links you provided,  I think all the topics you picked will help me greatly.  Have a good evening.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:52 PM

Your choice.

avast additional protections

Online Security / Browser Protection (previously known as WebRep) - provides community-based Web Reputation system as a browser extension for Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. Opera, Modern IE 10 and 11, and Microsoft Edge/Spartan are not supported. It also blocks known Phishing sites that try to steal your user names and passwords; SiteCorrect feature prevents visiting malicious sites if you make a spelling error in safe site's address. The extension also works as Ad Blocker and Tracking Protection

avast Online Security Plugin, What is it?

Avast Online Security Plugin formerly Known as WebRep shows reputation ratings in search results based on feedback from millions of WebRep users. By clicking on this plugin icon in browser(s), you can able to see the rating and you can also caste your vote for the page youre on.

Other features of Avast Online Security Plugin
* Collects phishing site info from all users and warns if you visit them
* User can create his own trusted pages list
* Site content rating system
* When combined with Avast antivirus, user will have access to the SiteCorrect feature, which automatically redirects users to legitimate URLs when mistyped

Note: Many site rating vendors (i.e. McAfee SiteAdvisor, WOT, Google's Safe Browsing, Webutation, avast! Online Security Plugin (formerly WebRep), etc) use a system of volunteer testers that continually patrol the Internet to browse sites, download files, and submit information. All the results are documented and supplemented with feedback from users, Web site owners, and analysis from their own employees. The advising site vendor then summarizes the results typically into into a color-coded red, yellow and green ratings scale to help inform Web users as to the safety of each tested site. While these tools are useful, they are not foolproof and sometimes may provide misleading ratings. Just because you visit a risky site, that does not automatically mean the site is bad or that your system has been infected by going there. In contrast, going to a safe site could even prompt a warning. There are legitimate programs which are falsely detected by various anti-virus programs from time to time. This sometimes results in an inaccurate site rating/warning of potentially dangerous software when that is not the case. Thus, the use of such rating sites does not always guarantee an accurate rating of the results they provide. Further, for the novice user, rating sites can provide a a false sense of security.

#6 Batzz

Batzz

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:47 PM

The Avast Toolbar only protects your computer from visiting malicious domains, it will not have any affect other than blocking infected domains, but if the domain is infected the download will already be blocked by avast, so theirs not much to running it personally.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:00 PM

I stopped using avast a long time ago and never used the Internet Security version so I can say if the toolbar is any good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users