Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lancelot Menu Damaged

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:36 PM

Can anyone help me with my Menu?

I was taking a screenshot and expanding Lancelot Menu, but I was still expanding it when the screenshot snapped, then went to use it and it was damaged.  It won't Expand or anything.

I tried Marking for "Complete Removal" in Synaptic > Reboot > Reinstall >Reboot again - but it is still the same.  I believe that it said that some configuration files would be kept upon the Removal, so perhaps not all the bad stuff was removed.  Wonder if I could have Purged all or something like that?

This is what it looks like after death:

1Zcz9Pw.png

Edited by pcpunk, 15 November 2015 - 08:39 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,603 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:03 PM

Try deleting your local files located in the hidden .kde4 file (sometimes its labeled as .kde)

Edited by MadmanRB, 15 November 2015 - 09:04 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:13 PM

Where would I do this from, a Text editor - or just the File Manager?  I can't find anything called plasma-widget-lancelot in File Manager or Text Editor, which is what it is named in Synaptic.  

What then will I do, Reinstall, or just Delete the file and let it recompile?

thanks pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:31 PM

Try deleting your local files located in the hidden .kde4 file (sometimes its labeled as .kde)

There are no "local files" in .kde and I checked Show Hidden Files?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:16 PM

"Lancelot. Wat r u doin? Lancelot. STAHP!" - Me (if I were in your shoes)

TvLQWYf.png
This is a before picture. As you can see, the menu widget has been stretched.

UhTPoNi.png
Step 1: Right-click on the menu button, and choose "Switch to Classic Menu Style" in the drop-down menu.

pBZ5n8U.png
Step 2: Right-click on the menu button, and choose "Switch to Application Launcher Style" in the drop-down menu.

e0742N1.png
This is an after picture. As you can see the width settings for the menu widget have been reset to defaults.

Edited by hollowface, 15 November 2015 - 11:24 PM.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,603 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:46 PM

hrm, you may have to go into .config.

Usually the settings are stored in the .kde4/share/config/ folder

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:25 PM

@hollowface: I don't know what that first Link was for at all lol.

I'm not sure what you are trying to get me to do.  I think a file for Lancelot was corrupted when taking snapshot while it was in Motion?

When I click on the Lancelot Menu I don't get the option "Switch to Application Style" but I do when I click on the Regular Menu, Kickoff, which I already pinned so that I could function.

Here is a pick of the Lancelot Options:

kjzXoq4.png

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

hrm, you may have to go into .config.

Usually the settings are stored in the .kde4/share/config/ folder

Hmm, not sure if this is safe, can you elaborate on what I will be deleting or if you have ever done this?  There must be 100 folders in there, what effect would that have if deleted?  Surely they all can't be Just Lancelot config files.

There is a lancelotrc file.

Edited by pcpunk, 16 November 2015 - 12:33 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:05 PM

I don't know what that first Link was for at all lol.

The first picture and last picture were before/after pictures to demonstrate the effect of the steps, so you'd know exactly what the steps would do.

I'm not sure what you are trying to get me to do.

I was trying to get the widget back to default settings without removing it.

When I click on the Lancelot Menu I don't get the option "Switch to Application Style"

That's my fault. It's been a while since I used KDE so I was thinking Lancelot was the default menu widget, which it isn't. My apologies.

I think a file for Lancelot was corrupted when taking snapshot while it was in Motion?

I installed Lancelot, and was able to easily get myself into a similar predicament just by resizing the menu. Adding and removing the widget did not return it to default settings, nore did uninstalling and re-installing (even using purge!). I was able to fix the issue by deleting the config file for Lancelot (as discussed by MadmanRB), logging out, and then logging back in. A new config file was then automatically generated, and Lancelot returned to its default appearance. I did this 4 times, and it worked each time.

Steps:
1. In terminal type:
rm ~/.kde/share/config/lancelotrc
Don't just type the command, browse the folder first, to make sure your config file is in the same place as mine was. For the record, in situations like this, the safe-practice would be to make a backup of the file before deleting it. I've just never been one to bother with that.
2. Logout.
3. Login.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:38 PM

Steps:

1. In terminal type:
Don't just type the command, browse the folder first, to make sure your config file is in the same place as mine was. For the record, in situations like this, the safe-practice would be to make a backup of the file before deleting it. I've just never been one to bother with that.
2. Logout.
3. Login.

Okay, I put this in the Terminal and hit Enter, but nothing happened.  I will Logout and back-in.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:56 PM

Okay you guys are amazing, thanks so much for fixing my problems.  Did not want to use Timeshift as I loose some things along the way.  Little but important things in Chrome mostly, that I didn't think would be affected until I used it enough and learned.

MadmanRB, sorry I did not understand your instructions very well, but I understand that every distro uses different file names and pathways etc. so it would not always be the same.  And always weary of doing these things in Fear of damaging things.

@hollowface, Understood the pics just not the Link you provided First hahahah, maybe I missed what the purpose was.  Anyhow your last instructions got me where I needed to be!!!! preserving all my precious setups - awesome!.  The pathway you provided was the same as mine, I checked...and saved the file before I rm'ed it.

Would you explain what this is, I know that ( rm )...means Remove, or I think it does, but what's the ( ~/ ) for?  I will google it up also.  It's quite amazing how the file re-generates itself!  I wonder, does it do this from the www. or from a hidden file in the OS?

2. Logout.
3. Login.

Edited by pcpunk, 16 November 2015 - 08:01 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:43 AM

instructions got me where I needed to be

Glad to hear it. :)

Understood the pics just not the Link you provided First hahahah, maybe I missed what the purpose was.

Humor...but I guess perhaps I shouldn't quit my day job. :P

I know that ( rm )...means Remove, or I think it does,

Yes, "rm" is remove. Keep in mind, for many programs you can use "program-name --help" or "man program-name" (substituting "program-name" for the program's name) to find more information about a program.

what's the ( ~/ ) for?

"~/" is the equivalent of typing "/home/YOURUSERNAME/", though it doesn't work with all programs.

It's quite amazing how the file re-generates itself!  I wonder, does it do this from the www. or from a hidden file in the OS?

It does it from within the OS, though I don't know where.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:17 PM

Humor...but I guess perhaps I shouldn't quit my day job.  :P

Hahaha, okay.

Thanks for the tutorial!!!

sBCcBvM.png