Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Random beep noise on laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Prefontaine91

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:25 PM

Hi there. I'm new to this site, but I think I will be coming here a lot as I am in IT Networking at school and am learning more and more about computers every day. 

My laptop, the Lenovo Ideadpad Y510p has been making two different noises ever since I've had it since last year. One is a "beep" which will emit either when I open the lid to wake it from sleep mode (which is normal), but it also makes this one beep during random times while I'm just surfing the internet. It will happen whether I'm watching a video on youtube or just reading articles/blogs online and scrolling through forums. It just happens and it seems to happen quite frequently, but only once and then it won't happen for many hours.

I did a S.M.A.R.T. test like I've seen people recommend doing that had this same problem on their computers and it passed. I also downloaded Speccy and I think this is it: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/K27a53FBSBfgjEaoTPgDnK1 

The second noise happens when I'm gaming (as this is a gaming laptop, just not up to the quality of today's games), but can continue even when I'm typing like right now. This noise comes directly from my power adapter as I am holding it to my ear right now and it is making this continuous low humming sound (almost like brakes screeching on a highway but from far way because it is not too loud). So I'm assuming that I may need to replace the power adapter, but then I guess to do that I would need to contact Lenovo. 

Also, just remembered. This is a minor issue, but it is kind of annoying. It did not happen before, but now it does. What happens is when I open a program for the very first time, like iTunes, Steam, or Chrome, anything. The display is kind of blurry and funky looking. But when I right-click iTunes for instance, go to Properties, Compatibility, and then check the box for "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" the program looks fine just like my native resolution. It is a fix, but I have to do it for every time I open a new program that I just downloaded for the very first time. Is there any way to fix this?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:20 AM

AC Adapters/Power bricks aren't supposed to make noise.  Contact Lenovo for a replacement (or purchase one from an electronics store).

When the noise happens, see what is going on with the system.

Check in Event Viewer to see if any problems/warnings happened at that time.

As for the display issue, visit the Lenovo website and download/install the latest video drivers for your system (to include any switching software if it has dual graphics cards).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users