Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble loading Windows 7 Ultimate

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 hmiller8513

hmiller8513

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:08 PM

I just bought a new Asus sabertooth 990 FX motherboard. Put an AMD FX-8350 processor and 32 GB memory on the motherboard.  I am trying to load the OS ( Windows 7 Ultimate) on a 240 gb SSD. The OS has a SKU of GLC-00182 ( which is supposed to be either upgrade or new install).

I have tried installing new install. Went through install but didn't finish install. 

Reboot said went into Windows error recovery.  I got the feeling that something was missing.  One of the install lines was updating the registry.  I didn't have anything on a new drive, so  I thought that may be it would be better to load Windows XP Pro on then upgrade to Windows 7.  That did not work either,

I tried formating the drive to NTFS and installing no go.  I tried formating the drive in GPT and still no go.

I got a blue screen error code 0X80070057.  I looked that up and it tells me to go through regedit to fix the error. How can I do this when there is OS on this machine?

Is there something I have to change in the BIOS?

I have been working on computers for 10 years and have gone thru all I know and now I need help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,118 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:16 PM

Do you have a valid, legal icense to install Win 7 Ultimate?

FWIW:  an SKU is just an inventory tracking technique...it does not determine whether a given item has ben legally marketed or distributed...and it, like everything else, can problably be changed to reflect it as a stock item that results in a valid purchase.  If activation keys are forged...why not a inventory tag?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_keeping_unit

Did you download one of the illegal copies of Win 7 Ultimate which float on the Web?

Without a valid key and a valid install disk...you should expect problems, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 November 2015 - 02:27 PM.

#3 hmiller8513

hmiller8513
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:42 PM

I have an activation key and an original Microsoft Disk.  But I have not been able to complete the installation.  

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,118 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:29 PM

Does the "activation key" match the version of Windows?

There are lots of "activation keys" floating around on the Web...all of them being disowned by Microsoft as being illegal.  Just for the heck of it...do a Google search on your key.  If you get any other hits...it's not a legal key.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 November 2015 - 01:30 PM.

#5 hmiller8513

hmiller8513
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:34 PM

Louis,

Thanks for your reply.

I have been a computer professional for 15 years and have built 100s of machines. This one for whatever reason will not complete the installation

The activation key is for Windows 7 Ultimate.  If it is illegal I have not had a chance to find out.  The Installation did not complete.

The box I bought is an original Microsoft box in the shrink wrap.  Right now there is no reason to suspect the the software.  

I am using a new UEFI motherboard. I do not know why the installation does not complete.  There is no registry to update because this is a new install on a new 240 GB ssd form Kingston. 

I am trying to find out if there is something I have to change in the BIOS or if I have to condition the hard Drive.  Does the hard drive have to  ntfs or can I use GPT?  If I use GPT does the drive have to be larger than my 240 GB?

Howard

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:50 PM

If you have UEFI then the hard drive needs to be GPT. I would recommend you first initialize the disk as GPT and then do the install but do the install using a USB flash drive created with Rufus. Select GPT as the partition scheme in the dropdown box. Maker sure UEFI is enabled and not Legacy or CSM boot. The drive does not have to be larger than 240GB for GPT. Is this a SP1 install disk? Windows 7 without SP1 had troubles with Advanced Format Drives. If the drive is native 4k then Windows 7 will not work.

You can initialize the drive as GPT using the install disk and diskpart. When you get to the first screen of the install press Shift + F10 to bring up a command prompt then type the following.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X    where X is the number associated with the disk Windows will be installed to.

clean               this will delete any partition(s) currently on the disk

convert GPT

exit

now continue the install.

#7 hmiller8513

hmiller8513
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:17 PM

JohnC_21

Thanks.  This is the first UEFI system I have worked with.  It is my own system so there is not an immediate need.  I will be out of commission for a couple of days, but I will let you know how I make out or contact you for more help

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:23 PM

I forgot to mention you need to use Imgburn to create the iso from the install DVD.Make sure you opt out of any optional programs it suggests. I would set Read Speed to 4X or no higher than 8X. If the install still fails or the USB does not boot then use MBR for the partition scheme in the Rufus options. I believe you can tap F12 at boot with the USB flash drive attached to select a boot device.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/6379-how-to-create-an-image-file-from-a-disc-using-imgburn/

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 November 2015 - 06:27 PM.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:30 PM

The box I bought is an original Microsoft box in the shrink wrap

Hmiller: just FYI....any clean retail (not OEM) version of Windows (and that sounds like what you have) gives a 30 day trial period before demanding a key. If you have a legit retail copy of W7 and it won't install the problem is either a bad disk or your machine. Whenever i install a new system, I always set the BIOS back to factory default first. I have had several cases where the unit refused to install Windows, or after the installation Windows would not boot until I reset the BIOS back to default.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 hmiller8513

hmiller8513
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:04 PM

JohnC_21

I initiated the disk using the install disk.  The install went well until the point that the computer had to restart.  At that point I got a blue screen.  It was a flash screen and I did not get the error code. As I described in my first post the error code that I got a one point was 0X80070057. My eye caught an 800 number in the error code. 

I read the Advanced Format Drives articles you pointed out.  I tried to find out if the format was native 4k or what, but have not been to successful. If the drives that I have are native 4k is there any way to install this software? I had a work computer that had Windows 7 Enterprise on it and it did not to my knowledge have special drives in it.

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:39 PM

This might be a good time to test that disk and see if it has failed. I use Seatools for DOS because it will run virtual (Windows does not need to be loaded). I called Seagate and asked them if Seatools will work on SSDs and he told me it would and that he personally used it.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#12 hmiller8513

hmiller8513
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:24 PM

Latest attempt to load Windows 7 Ultimate.

Install on a clean, initialized disk.  Got to the point that installation restarts.  Updating the regisrty gave blue screen 0X00000050.  This error code relates to an infected/corrupt registry.  At this point is there a registry to update.

Just to make sure I took a brand new 2TB hard drive, Cleaned and initialized it.  Got to the same point with the same results.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:31 PM

This indicates to me your install media is bad or possibly your memory. 

Do a memory test with memtest86. Boot the disk and let it run for at least 6 passes and preferably overnight.

http://www.memtest.org/

#14 hmiller8513

hmiller8513
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:27 AM

JohnC_21 or anyone else;

Since the last post I have done several things.

1) ran memtest+ for 72 hrs - no errors

2) ran different media (borrow disk from friend)

3) tried a new approach - load Windows XP and do an upgrade

4) tried different media  with XP disks

5) tried different  Sata ports on the motherboard

The only thing I have not done is make a bootible USB ( I am not familiar with that process) haven't tried Rufus yet

Still I have not been able to complete an install of ANY OS.

Windows & Ultimate gives me a error 50

Windows Xp gives me an error 7b

This one is driving me nuts.

Howard

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:01 PM

Sorry for the late reply. I would see if you can install Windows 7 using Rufus from Post #6. When starting Rufus make sure your USB flash drive is listed. I would try GPT for a partition scheme and if that does not work use MBR. You can create an iso from the install disk using Imgburn. Where you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image and click the folder icon. Browse to the iso file and click start. Then do the diskpart commands listed in post #6. 

Another thing. I would use one stick of RAM and see if the install finishes.

You could also try a linux distro like Mint with Rufus. If that works then I would think there is some driver issue with the Windows 7 install disk.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 November 2015 - 07:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users