I built my computer three years ago and am currently running Windows 7 on it. For the last six months, I've been having the strangest issue - one which I can't seem to diagnose and am seeking your help with.
Randomly - could be while I'm playing a game or computer being idle - my computer will go into a "state". A few things could happen during this "state":
1. If I'm watching a movie, sometimes, my display/monitor will shut off but the sound is still playing in the background. A few seconds (10~20 secs) later, I get back onto Windows with the following error:
Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 350.12 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
2. If I'm playing a game, before the same thing happens, my game starts to "slow down drastically" (think Matrix) before it reaches into that state. Again, a few seconds later, I get back onto Windows with the same error and the game crashes.
3. Sometimes, regardless whether I'm running a game or a movie, my whole Windows hangs on the spot following which, the BSOD appears. Now, when this happens, this is when it starts to get strangeR... when I try to power up my computer again, nothing loads - not even the CMOS/BIOS. I have to keep restarting over, and over again until the BIOS finally manages to load then proceeds to go onto Windows.
I've tried the following steps, and they all DO NOT work:
1. Reformatting Windows
2. Changing my PSU
3. Uninstalling all GFX drivers (making sure it's wiped from older versions) then reinstalling a clean set of new GFX drivers.
Can anyone please help? I swear I'm going crazy - sometimes it takes me 15-20 tries to get my computer loaded again.
Many thanks all.
For reference, here are my specs:
- Intel i5-3570 (1155)
- Gigabyte H77M-D3H (1155)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
- MSI 2GB GTX 660 TI
- Corsair Vengeance 4GB x 2
- Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
- Western Digital 1TB Blue