Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My PC goes into a "state" randomly

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 somebody19

somebody19

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:01 AM

Hi All

I built my computer three years ago and am currently running Windows 7 on it.  For the last six months, I've been having the strangest issue - one which I can't seem to diagnose and am seeking your help with.

Randomly - could be while I'm playing a game or computer being idle - my computer will go into a "state".  A few things could happen during this "state":

1. If I'm watching a movie, sometimes, my display/monitor will shut off but the sound is still playing in the background.  A few seconds (10~20 secs) later, I get back onto Windows with the following error:

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 350.12 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

2. If I'm playing a game, before the same thing happens, my game starts to "slow down drastically" (think Matrix) before it reaches into that state.  Again, a few seconds later, I get back onto Windows with the same error and the game crashes.

3. Sometimes, regardless whether I'm running a game or a movie, my whole Windows hangs on the spot following which, the BSOD appears.  Now, when this happens, this is when it starts to get strangeR...  when I try to power up my computer again, nothing loads - not even the CMOS/BIOS.  I have to keep restarting over, and over again until the BIOS finally manages to load then proceeds to go onto Windows.

I've tried the following steps, and they all DO NOT work:

1. Reformatting Windows

2. Changing my PSU

3. Uninstalling all GFX drivers (making sure it's wiped from older versions) then reinstalling a clean set of new GFX drivers. 

Can anyone please help?  I swear I'm going crazy - sometimes it takes me 15-20 tries to get my computer loaded again.

Many thanks all.

For reference, here are my specs:

• Intel i5-3570 (1155)
  • Gigabyte H77M-D3H (1155) 
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
  • MSI 2GB GTX 660 TI
  • Corsair Vengeance 4GB x 2 
  • Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
  • Western Digital 1TB Blue

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:18 PM

Do you have another card you can test with?

Have you tried adjusting nVidia CP options?

#3 somebody19

somebody19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:38 AM

Do you have another card you can test with?

Have you tried adjusting nVidia CP options?

Unfortunately I do not have a card I can test with - am hoping to exhaust all options before buying new hardware.  

As for the NVIDIA control panel options - what specifically should I look out for? 

#4 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• 1,016 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:24 AM

I gave you a link with the instructions. Follow it.

#5 somebody19

somebody19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:31 AM

I gave you a link with the instructions. Follow it.

Thanks!  I have tried it and will report how it goes.

Just curious - what exactly does changing from Adaptive to Maximum Performance do, and how does it relate to my issue?

#6 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• 1,016 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:18 AM

It puts the GPU into a mode that doesn't lower clocks in idle and it may prevent it from crashing. I had the same issue and this is how I fixed it, but I had cases where nothing but a new GPU helped and it simply had to be replaced.

Is your driver fully up to date?

if not, please update and check the settings in nVidia CP to make sure that the new driver version didn't change them.

Kind regards,

Mihael.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:32 PM

The error you get is actually a STOP 0x117 error.  These are BSOD's without the Blue Screen.

They happen when the driver recovers before the system crashes to a BSOD.

If it were to crash to a BSOD, then you'd get the STOP 0x116 error instead.

This is either a hardware or a software error - so, as softwaremaniac requests, trying another graphics card is a good idea (since you've tried new drivers).

More info on this situation here:  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/35-video-tdr-timeout-0x116-0x117.html#post29532
Also, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 somebody19

somebody19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:33 AM

The error you get is actually a STOP 0x117 error.  These are BSOD's without the Blue Screen.

They happen when the driver recovers before the system crashes to a BSOD.

If it were to crash to a BSOD, then you'd get the STOP 0x116 error instead.

This is either a hardware or a software error - so, as softwaremaniac requests, trying another graphics card is a good idea (since you've tried new drivers).

More info on this situation here:  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/35-video-tdr-timeout-0x116-0x117.html#post29532
Also, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

It puts the GPU into a mode that doesn't lower clocks in idle and it may prevent it from crashing. I had the same issue and this is how I fixed it, but I had cases where nothing but a new GPU helped and it simply had to be replaced.

Is your driver fully up to date?

if not, please update and check the settings in nVidia CP to make sure that the new driver version didn't change them.

Kind regards,

Mihael.

Hi, thanks both - really interesting, this is all new to me.

If I were to take the route of changing hardware, is there some way I can narrow it down to my graphics card?  Essentially, I'd like to avoid paying $$$ for a graphics card I may not need.  Anything I can do to help narrow down the issue might be worthwhile trying!

#9 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• 1,016 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:38 AM

Please try the settings I told you to try and report back, you could run FurMark test, however, you would have to monitor the temps as it can cause damage if done incorrectly.

GUIDE

#10 somebody19

somebody19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:41 AM

Please try the settings I told you to try and report back, you could run FurMark test, however, you would have to monitor the temps as it can cause damage if done incorrectly.

GUIDE

I'll do that - thank you!  Will give it a go for a few days.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:56 AM

Another option is to purchase a graphic card from a retailer that will let you return it for your money back if it's not needed.

Locally I can do this at Radio Shack, Target, WalMart, and BestBuy

That way, if it's not needed, you can simply return it to get your money back.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 somebody19

somebody19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:03 AM

Another option is to purchase a graphic card from a retailer that will let you return it for your money back if it's not needed.

Locally I can do this at Radio Shack, Target, WalMart, and BestBuy

That way, if it's not needed, you can simply return it to get your money back.

Ah unfortunately in this part of the world (South East Asia), stores do not practise this.  

Anyhow, my card is still under warranty so I guess I could try my luck with getting it replaced with MSI.  Problem is, I'm not sure how I'd convince them that there's an issue with the card (heck, am having trouble proving it myself!)

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:13 PM

Maybe borrow a working card from someone to test with?

Maybe contact MSI and ask them what they want in order for you to RMA the card?

The tests that others have suggested may help to isolate the problem - or they may help to prove that the card is defective.

Continue with the testing.  You may want to post over in the Internal Hardware forums for some more input.

Good luck!

#14 somebody19

somebody19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:34 PM

Maybe borrow a working card from someone to test with?

Maybe contact MSI and ask them what they want in order for you to RMA the card?

The tests that others have suggested may help to isolate the problem - or they may help to prove that the card is defective.

Continue with the testing.  You may want to post over in the Internal Hardware forums for some more input.

Good luck!

GUIDE

Well good news guys, this issue hasn't popped up in the last two weeks!  Really appreciate the help.

So what exactly was the issue to begin with?  All I did was change the Nvidia control panel options on power management.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:47 AM

"Nothing succeeds like success!"

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users