Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CTR screen black stripes appear/disappear on sides

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CurtJohn

CurtJohn

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:12 AM

Hello!

I wanna know if there's a solution to my problem.

I have an old CTR screen, the resolution never changed, the refresh rate didn't changed as well, so why my compture, for no reason, display 2 verticals black stripes??? Why do the image is shrink on the X axis?
It's a AOC Spectrum 9Glrs

I used this one because I also have another old CTR screen, a AOC with nothing else written) but this AOC had a worst problem... He randomly display the OSD (Screen parameters), that's weird because normally you can access to the OSD with only a physical action (You need to press the button).

There's a solution or my screens are just too old and I need to buy a new one?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:53 PM

Sounds like the first one is on is so old and tired it simply needs to be replaced.

On the seconds one, have you checked the OSD button to see if it isn't stuck in/down somehow? Maybe try pressing it in and out a few times so if it is stuck, you might loosen it up a bit (get the crud out?).

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:27 PM

The horizontal shrinking is usually due to either a fault in the deflection circuitry, often a faulty ("dry") solder joint or poor connection in a plug to the yoke or similar, or if it's a model with microprocessor control (i.e OSD settings), data errors or the deflection control section, again can be solder joint, temperature sensitive Mosfet or similar.

False operation of OSD functions is usually current leakage in the control button board SpywareDoc refers to. If it's located under the screen, it can have had liquid (spill or from cleaning) dribble down into the switches or onto the board tracks. The switches themselves can sometimes just go internally leaky, and the common design which works from a resistor ladder will give a faulty button press event if a resistor drifts off value.

Generally speaking CRT monitors aren't worth trying to service, unless you particularly need or like CRT and can do the repairs yourself.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 CurtJohn

CurtJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:11 PM

Ok... So they're just old.

I'm gonna buy a new one someday...

For the other one with the OSD button, I gently punch it. Nothing happened, so I guess there's nothing wrong with it, it's maybe a circuit inside the monitor.

Thanks for your accurate and quick answer :)

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:46 PM

Way, way back, this problem was usually cured by a serious smack along side the case.  Old CRT types have small screens to act as filters and modulators to the electron beam aimed at the phosphor screen.  As the unit aged, the constant bombardment of electrons degrades and deteriorates the screens and supporting structure.  These tiny pieces can lodge between elements of the tube and cause voltage imbalanced circuits and distorted displays.  A jar or impact can temporarily dislodge the particles and return normal function.  This can also manifest itself as a heat related event.

#6 CurtJohn

CurtJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for your answers,

I don't know if it will help other people, my refresh rate was 60htz, I set it to 100htz, apparently it did resolve the problem no more screen shrinking automatically.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:20 PM

That can be a workaround if it makes the monitor switch out a resonance circuit that contains the faulty component or connection. You're lucky there. :thumbup2:

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users