Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has Windows 10 November Update (Threshold 2) reset your privacy settings:WinBeta

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:48 AM

Windows 10 has caused greater privacy concerns than any previous version of the operating system. You may well have spent some time tweaking settings so that you are in control of your privacy and limit the tracking that Windows 10 is able to do, but if you have installed thelatest big update you may well have to do it all again.

In addition to resetting their privacy settings to their defaults, many people have reported that installing Windows 10's November Update has wiped out any personalization of default apps. This is just the latest in a series of slip-ups which sees Microsoft upsetting Windows 10 users. So how do you know if your settings have been changed?

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:51 AM

For the record, none of the privacy related settings that I'd switched to "OFF," and there were more than a few of them, were changed on my machine by this update.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:05 PM

I always warned that the sort of thing people are starting to think has happened, could happen. Without the freeedom to block updates there's no means for users of windows 10 to prevent their systems being altered in these ways.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:16 PM

Well, historically Microsoft generally (there was the odd exception and the even odder accident) did not change user chosen settings during updates unless they warned you first that certain settings would be reset as a part of the process.  I really doubt that this is going to change as a matter of practice.

Windows 10 is clearly still either in beta stage or "a work in progress" depending on your point of view and glitches will occur until it's actually entirely stable.  I just hope that Microsoft either begins identifying what changes to user tweaked settings will result from this update as a part of the update or make fixes to the update that stop them from being made as they are identified.

The only thing on my system that might even tangentially be considered a privacy related setting that got reset was turning SmartScreen on again.  The entire raft of other privacy related settings, most of which I switched off, stayed that way.   If this behavior is not consistent then it really is incumbent on Microsoft to warn people about what they need to check again after the update.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:50 PM

My privacy settings, both Home and Pro, were also unchanged.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:14 PM

My privacy settings, both Home and Pro, were also unchanged.

I just want to clarify that this was also true for me on both the Home and Pro update, which is not anywhere near to 20 GB in size.   Divide by 10.

#7 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:11 PM

Hmmm I haven't been updated yet

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:13 PM

Hmmm I haven't been updated yet

Since it's a rolling update that is going out over the course of weeks in cycles, this is not surprising.  This update is not unlike the original rollout of Win10 itself.

#9 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:19 PM

It seems like I have been getting most updates on Sundays

I am not to worried, seems like most of the updates are to things I dont use anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users