Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forbes: Threshold 2 has 3 nasty surprises

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:25 AM

Article here, by Gordon Kelly.  Apparently there's a fourth surprise, that all your privacy settings have been turned back ON=OKTOSLURP, article (read the comments), here.

At issue, 1) installer hang at 44%, 2) changing and deleting default programs, 3) Forced delays for recent upgraders.

Since Kelly has been a fan but critical of Win10 for over a year, I'm putting this thread here rather than in Windows 10 Support. But clearly it covers what might become support issues.  Kelly provides sources for those issues, as enumerated above.  So his article isn't mere commentary.

I've not installed Threshold 2 so have nothing to say about it.

Edited by brainout, 15 November 2015 - 06:25 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:52 AM

Expanded list of programs Threshold 2 may delete, Steam included.

http://www.techworm.net/2015/11/microsofts-20gb-threshold-windows-10-update-v1511-comes-with-a-litany-of-bugs.html

• CPU-Z
  • Speccy
  • 8gadgetpack
  • Cisco VPN client
  • SATA drivers
  • SpyBot
  • RSAT
  • F5 VPN
  • HWMonitor
  • PC meter
  • Java Eclipse Mars
  • Steam
  • Origin
  • Adobe CS
  • Android Studio
  • and many more.
A reddit user has noted that the deleted apps are found in Windows.old folder created by the update in the root drive and can be brought back from there. The apps being deleted are given below 

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 November 2015 - 08:59 AM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,837 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:49 AM

I already noted in another thread that it had changed the file assignment for PDF files back to MS-Edge and away from PDF XChange Viewer, but didn't remove the program.

I hadn't noticed until this list was put up, but I'm certain that Speccy and CPU-Z were removed, though not the files to install them again.  Speccy does show up in the Windows.old/Program Files folder.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:35 AM

Only thing I lost was speccy witch I never really used anyways.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#5 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:16 AM

running Speccy (portable version) just gave me my first, and so far only, BSOD under Win 10. It was 'page fault in nonpaged area.'

I had run Speccy in Windows 10 before with no problems, and after with no problem. Only difference that time was I had my encrypted, external HDD mounted while running Speccy (I wanted to look at SMART status)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users