Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brotherly advice on BASIC hardware/software PC repair tools.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Elvis Maphoka

Elvis Maphoka

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:17 AM

We normally consult google on almost everything, but on very important things, we actually need family input also! Dear family, I need to open a PC repair business under a very tight budget: Can you please advise me on hardware and software tools I CAN'T GO WITHOUT. I've been preoccupied with this for some days but I just can't get a conclusive decision. Thanks a lot.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 15 November 2015 - 05:19 AM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:49 PM

1. USB stick.

2. Screwdriver

That's all you need if you know what you're doing.

Edited by TsVk!, 15 November 2015 - 08:50 PM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:05 PM

Get a few more tools along with a set of screwdrivers.

Make, collect, and use some diagnostic Puppy Linux DVDs and USBs.

Make sure you print up and use iron-clad, pay-me, contracts for EVERYBODY, no exceptions, even for Mother Teresa if she will alive today.

Make, collect, and use a few undelete and data recovery programs; free at first, pay for Pro versions from your profits.

Have a Mission Statement, a Purpose statement, Action Plans, a Business Plan for the bank, investors, and the like.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:14 PM

How much experience do you have fixing PC's?

1. USB stick.

2. Screwdriver

That's all you need if you know what you're doing.

I have a

USB & CD stick To boot puppy with.

Small screwdriver set.

A 1 TB USB HDD with hundreds of drivers.

Plus a have Windows 2000, Xp, Vista, 7, 8, and 10 ISO's so I can reinstall if needed.

And a small Multi meter.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:18 PM

Oooh, drivers on a HDD.

#6 Elvis Maphoka

Elvis Maphoka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:44 PM

I like your sense of humour Roland, but I don't think I'd do that to angels like Mother Thesesa,lol. So what free undelete tools would you recommend? Hey NickAu, honestly besides a few touches I did during my A+ studies I got no experience, and BTW, can you please gimme a link to the ISOs. And TsVk,thanks for your input,man!

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:54 PM

and BTW, can you please gimme a link to the ISOs

I don't think I can legally other than Windows 10.

Windows 7 Universal Installation Disc - Create - Windows 7 Help

How to Get All the Windows 8 Editions on One Install Disk

#8 Elvis Maphoka

Elvis Maphoka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:24 PM

Oh,my bad! I really didnt know my request meant breaking laws. Thanks

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:33 PM

My sincere advice to you Elvis would be to get a tech support job, to get some real world experience. After doing that for a while you will know exactly what you need and what (unreasonable and unrealistic expectations) to expect from clients.

You will also be able to tool up with all of the disk images you need, and know which ones to use for which issues.

Edited by TsVk!, 15 November 2015 - 11:33 PM.

#10 Elvis Maphoka

Elvis Maphoka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:25 AM

TsVk,getting a support job was my wish,but ever since i got A+ certified in March and N+ certified in Aug this year i'm still looking for a job. All the job notification emails i'm getting from indeed.com need experience(which I don't have). Opening my PC repair business wasn't a haste decision: But a result of not getting a job. I know the responsibility of being trusted with people's PCs while you're not an expert in the field is huge, but i'm willing to take that risk-and after all, I got you guys in this forum. Expect a barrage of questions once the biz start,haha

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:50 AM

Can't you even get a temp/contract job with your A+ and Network+?  That will get you the experience to move up later.

While contract jobs aren't always the best deal, no work equals no pay, they are a great way to gain experience and can lead to a job.

If you're not working even the short term contracts might be a good deal for you.

#12 Elvis Maphoka

Elvis Maphoka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:49 AM

They want experience hey Kilroy. As scary as it is to start my own support biz, I think I gotta do it. I know of bogus techs who're taking advantage of people's desperation and steal their monies without real work done on computers. I'm talking about people who think they're real techs just coz they disassembled and assembled a computer maybe one time. They got no idea what a command line or msconfig is. All you need is a lil bit of courage and confidence. With certs under my name, I think I stand a chance. If they, bogus techs, do it, then I can do better. I just need capital to commence and of course I don't rule out hiring somebody more experienced to help me.furthermore, an 8 hour job under an employer is just stressfull,don't you think so Kilroy?

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:04 PM

MiniTool Power Data Recovery freebie will recover up to the first 1GB data load.  Piriform's Recova and Wise Data Recovery are free and have no MB or GB limit.  There are numerous others, googling will give you many more.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#14 Elvis Maphoka

Elvis Maphoka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:40 PM

Thanks a lot Roland. I'll make sure I download all that to my USB thumb drive.

#15 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:57 PM

For purposes of covering your butt you should get a basic tech toolkit - you should be able to get one at most computer specialty stores for ~ $20.  

If you're going professional an anti-static wrist strap or mat would also be a great idea.  

As for your job, I've found very few jobs outside of retail tech support (which pays like crap because it's retail) will take you on just certification alone.  Before going into business for yourself, make sure you have a college diploma/degree as well as certification.  I tried getting a job with just certification for a month, then a contact of mine in the industry said you'll always be at a disadvantage if you don't have the paper + cert.  

Assuming you do have a degree/diploma and certification, I agree with Kilroy that going for temp contracts will increase your chances of getting a job and will pad your resume with experience.  They might even lead to something permanent too, if you leave a good impression you never know what can happen.    

Edited by dudeage, 18 November 2015 - 02:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users