Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCleaner

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bobyboy

bobyboy

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:53 AM

A friend has reccomended thefollowing:

I notice you have CCleaner installed
The registry cleaner of CCleaner should NOT be used
CCLeaner in default mode is not good for Windows 8.1/10
As a general system maintenance tool it is unnecessary on 8.1/10 

Would you agree.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 November 2015 - 11:29 AM.
moved from Windows 10 Support to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:57 AM

I don't know specifically about CCleaner, but I've been told on numerous occasions here at BC and on other sites, that registry cleaners are not generally a good idea to use.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:07 AM

CCLeaner in default mode is not good for Windows 8.1/10

News to me. Could you or your friend elaborate on this?

Rest of what you posted with I can't really argue with. All of CCleaner's features that I use can be accomplished in some manner or other, with Windows built in features. I still find CCleaner convenient.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:41 AM

I have used CCleaner for well over a decade now on Win7, Win8, and Win10 and love it.

I'm not using the registry cleaning feature as much, and not at all yet on Win10, but have yet to have any system malfunction subsequent to using the Registry Cleaner option.  There seems to be a consensus in "the geek community" that registry cleaning is unnecessary, and perhaps it may be.

It is one of the easiest ways I've ever found for doing "housekeeping" and getting rid of all sorts of temporary/stray/orphan files left behind cluttering up the drive.  It's my favorite way to clean browser cache and gets that job done more quickly than the respective browsers' built-in functions.  It's also very handy for disabling and/or deleting startup programs with much greater ease than digging under the hood with Windows.

I've used it on my partner's Win8.1 laptop for both disc space cleanup and registry cleanup for a couple of years now.  There have been no problems as a result.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:47 AM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Credit for this goes to Quietman7, one of our Global Moderators.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,598 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:00 AM

@dc3:   OK.   But that doesn't make the array of other functions that CCleaner does, and does well, "bad" at any level.   If the original poster's friend had carefully and strictly limited his or her comment to the registry cleaner feature that would be one thing, but they didn't.

CCleaner "in default mode" does not touch the registry.  "In default mode" it does hard disc cleanup, possibly including browser cache and other commonly disposable files.  In order to have it touch the registry you must use the registry option and confirm that action.

It's not a bad tool and it's a mistake to claim that it is.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:08 AM

I didn't address anything regarding CCleaner other than the use of registry cleaners or optimization software.  You're reading content into my post which isn't there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,598 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:15 AM

I didn't address anything regarding CCleaner other than the use of registry cleaners or optimization software.  You're reading content into my post which isn't there.

I'm not reading anything into your post, just using it in reference to the original question that was asked.   Your statement was quite clear.

#9 bobyboy

bobyboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:20 AM

Thanks all for the replies, it seems to me the best plan is safe to use this software, but not as a registry cleaner.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:31 AM

bobyboy,  that seems to be the general consensus here at Bleeping Computer. 

#11 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:55 PM

I didn't mean to imply that CCleaner itself, or as a whole, is a bad tool. Quite the opposite - it leads the pack in what it does. I've just always been told that when it comes to the registry, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," meaning, if it works, leave it alone. If there's little to no evidence that registry cleaners really have a worthwhile benefit, then why use it?

But CCleaner overall is an extremely useful tool.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#12 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:38 AM

I have used CCleaner for a great many years but in recent years I have not used the Registry function at all, due to advice here and elsewhere. There are various other features which are good, especially the junk cleaning which is very necessary for my 'small storage' 2-in-1 tablet. In fact I have and use around four similar 'management suites' and they all have their advantages. They also all have Registry cleaners, none of which I opt into, though there is one which does not offer an easy opt out --- it is one bad feature, but I have used it for years too and never had a problem and like CC it allows for backing up the Registry first The way (stand alone) Registry cleaners are promoted seems to me little better than a scam

#13 avtar78

avtar78

• Banned Spammer
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:26 AM

Yes i have used this application and would like to say this application is really work for anti vairus. Thanks for sharing these valueable information.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:24 AM

Yes i have used this application and would like to say this application is really work for anti vairus. 

The following is from the Piriform article explaining what it can and can't do.

CCleaner can't detect or remove viruses, spyware, or malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users