Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive Partitions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LadyOh1951

LadyOh1951

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 04:12 PM

Hello,

I downloaded Partition Logic, burned the "image" to a CD as instructed. Now what the heck do I do? I can open the file but all it shows me is the file contents. When I open the file it opens under Roxio which is what I used to burn the CD. How do I "run" this program. I need to un-partition (if there is such a word) my C and D drives.

LadyOh1951

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:11 PM

You should be very cautious. If you are trying to merge the two you could end up reinstalling windows. Is that what you had in mind, reinstalling widows one large hard drive?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 LadyOh1951

LadyOh1951
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:35 PM

No, just remove the partition. I want the C & D drives to become one as far as space. From what I've read, you should be able to do that with Partition Logic but since the CD won't run I don't even know what program to use to open it. I've emailed the administrator at the Partition Logic website, but as of now, no response.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:18 AM

Did you set your BIOS to boot your CD first??

#5 LadyOh1951

LadyOh1951
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:30 PM

NO. How do I do that?

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:05 AM

What brand and model computer do you have?

#7 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:47 PM

Acklan sorry to interupt here.

If you are intending to combine both partitions together I would recomend backing up all of your files that you would like to keep incase a mistake is made. Also make sure you have the Windows install disk and authntication key just incase the Windows OS gets deleted or corrupted.

p.s. I dont think this belongs in the Apple/DOS/PDA/Other forum. It should go in the Windows forum of what ever version of windows considering it deals with the windows OS. :thumbsup:

-NT

Edited by need TOS, 24 July 2006 - 04:48 PM.

Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#8 LadyOh1951

LadyOh1951
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:09 PM

I have a Sony Viao, Model # PCV-RX572. The more I read about this the more I'm thinking I should just leave it alone. I have saved files on CDs but hate to think about losing what I do have left such as programs, updates etc.

Sorry for posting this in the wrong forum. If you want I can take move this to the appropriate forum.

P.S. I'm wondering if I should take my harddrive to a professional and ask them to do it.

Edited by LadyOh1951, 24 July 2006 - 07:10 PM.

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:08 PM

Even the professionals can screw it up, although it is not all that difficult. There are essentially two steps. Step one is to remove the second partition. Step two is to resize the remaining partition.

When you burned the cd, did you burn it as an ISO?

Getting your system to boot from the cd first is just a matter of booting into the bios, which varies from system to system. For instance, on my system, when it first starts booting, it says "Press del to enter setup". You system might say the same thing. You should have some documentation that came with the system that tells you how to boot to the bios, and how to set it to boot from the cd.

If you have never tinkered with it though, it is probably already set to boot from the cd first. Put the cd in the try, then reboot your computer and see what happens.

#10 LadyOh1951

LadyOh1951
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:55 PM

I tried putting the CD that I burned (in ios) from Partition Logic into all three of my drives. When I boot my computer it acts like it wants to open it but it just keeps running without anything happening. I guess I should say that something may be happening on the monitor, I can't tell because it goes into a power save mode and just sits there. I let it sit for 2-3 minutes and nothing happens. So, I may attempt to find another program to use because I really don't want to do a disc recovery unless I absolutely have to.

Everyone, thank you for your assistance and advice. I will let you know if I'm successful.

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:18 AM

It sounds like you didn't burn the program to cd properly (just a guess), so the first step would be to try to burn another cd. I've ruined a few cds myself trying to burn an ISO, and I would wager that nearly everyone that has ever tried to burn an ISO has wasted a cd or two.

You may want to try using a program specifically for burning ISO's:
http://www.fileheaven.com/Magic-ISO-Maker/download/8760.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users