Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can this be fixed?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skyfly1715

skyfly1715

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:39 AM

Last Christmas I bought my son a new gaming computer. I've always hooked mine up and his so I did this one to. When I turned it on, it started to smoke from one cable that went from the motherboard to the battery. The connection to the motherboard melted, but it's the only damage. I went out and bought a new motherboard and battery at that time, because it was Christmas and I wanted it ready. But I couldn't bring myself to throw the motherboard away. Now I'm wondering if the piece that is melted could be soldered back on. Is the motherboard completely bad now because it smoked when I turned it on?

Just to clarify it only smoked where the connection was made to the motherboard. It also smoked from the battery connection to, but that connection didn't melt and for all I know the battery is perfectly fine.

Attached Files

• Attached File  r1.jpg   123.45KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  r2.jpg   110.95KB   0 downloads

Edited by skyfly1715, 15 November 2015 - 12:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:50 AM

The connector on your pictures is for the Power Supply (not a battery).

If this connector smoked when powered up that would suggest a short on the motherboard, in which case the melted parts would just melt again even if they could be if repaired.

The Power Supply may have survived the experience but would need to be tested - I would certainly not try it on anything other than a PSU tester or an old & largely worthless motherboard.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:05 PM

Ouch, I hope you didn't try to remove while still hot.  Sometimes the plastic melts to the point you cant pull the connector off the board.  Serious short there,  or the most likely cause is a poor soldering job on the connector during the assembly.  The vertical orientation of the pins and connector forces the pins down out of the holes when inserted.  The MOBO may be good, the connector area on both sides of the board need to be cleaned and inspected for lifted traces.  Resoldering a new pin and replacing the mating in the cable connection may revive the board.

#4 skyfly1715

skyfly1715
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:18 AM

The connector on your pictures is for the Power Supply (not a battery).

If this connector smoked when powered up that would suggest a short on the motherboard, in which case the melted parts would just melt again even if they could be if repaired.

The Power Supply may have survived the experience but would need to be tested - I would certainly not try it on anything other than a PSU tester or an old & largely worthless motherboard.

Well it didn't short because it was " defective ". It smoked because I had hooked the cable up to the wrong input on the battery. So if they above piece can be replaced do you think the board itself would still be good?

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:39 AM

Yes, after a through inspection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users