Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

scannow could not repair, dism could not find source

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 XML2005

XML2005

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:38 PM

I'm running an HP Pavilion notebook with Windows 8.1 and Norton Internet Security. Till last week, it was quick and dependable. But a week ago, it was still quick online, but it started doing all sorts of weird stuff, like shutting down all my open applications at once and taking forever to turn on. So I tried restoring to my HP recovery disks from Jan 2014, ran Windows Updates for two days, and then started having different problems. So I tried again: I restored to a Macrium Reflect image from Jan 2015 and then ran updates for four hours, reloaded all my programs a second time (Arghhh!). The PC was fine for a couple of days, but then was very very slow to start up. So I did the following:

1. Ran the command sfc /scannow, and was notified it found errors it could not repair.
  2. As advised by the Microsoft website, I went into my administrator account in Safe Mode with Networking and tried to delete the files in %windir%\winSxsTemp\PendingDeletes and \PendingRenames. The system didn't allow me to delete files in the PendingDeletes folder; the message read, "You need permission from a trusted installer." The system also didn't allow me to delete files in the PendingRenames folder; the message read, "You need permission from System."
  3. Tried to run sfc /scannow in Safe Mode anyway, and got the same errors.
  4. In Safe Mode with Networking, I ran Dism /online /cleanup-image /restoreHealth, but got the message, "The source files could not be downloaded. Use the 'source' option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=243077." Unfortunately, I couldn't make head or tail of that webpage!

Can you great gurus please help!!!

Thank you so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:03 AM

Run the DISM command in normal mode.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:45 PM

Thanks, I mistakenly thought I had to do all steps in Safe Mode. Following your advice did the trick (sort of).

DISM in normal mode fixed the errors. Then sfc /scannow ran successfully. But the PC was still very slow to start up and the pre-login screen was blank. I looked at many different system settings and googled alot, until I found that one of my C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\S-1-5-18\ReadOnly\LockScreen_Z default pictures had somehow disappeared. Probably the PC was wasting time on startup, hunting for that picture. I found the picture online and put it back, and then ran another successful sfc /scannow. Now my laptop is quick as it was before. I'll do another Macrium backup within the next day or two so I'll have a clean image up to this point.

Thank you for your quick help.

#4 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:27 PM

Thank you, this issue is resolved. Ran a Macrium Reflect image backup today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users