Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SFC errors after installing TH2

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Msradell

Msradell

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:11 PM

After I installed TH2 on Thursday I decided to run a SFC check to see if I had errors and it came up with some that it said it couldn't correct. The assembly look at the attached file and tell me what I need to do.

Thanks

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.zip   161.41KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:53 AM

First off, I will not download anything to my computer unless I know exactly what it contains.

If there were corrupted file which sfc /scannow couldn't repair do the following.

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key, in the menu that opens click or tap on Command Prompt (Admin).  This will open the Elevated Command prompt.

Copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:34 AM

Thanks, if you mentioned I'm always careful about what I installed, this occurred after I installed the TH2 update from Microsoft which as you know basically reinstalled the entire OS.

When I really command you mentioned I get an error as shown in attached file.

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:22 PM

While I'm not an expert with DISM, it seems that you don't have any source files that you can extract the repaired files from.

Try step 6 in this article:  http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26512-dism-fixing-component-store-corruption-windows-8-a.html

Steps should be the same for W10

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for the idea, I ran it (after converting install.esd to install.wim) and it ran and said everything was completed but one running SFC afterwards it still says there are corrupt files that it cannot repair.  Any idea what I should try now?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:20 AM

Corrupt SFC files don't mean that there's a problem with your system.

FWIW - there's at least 2 files I know of that are false errors.

BUT, I am not an expert with SFC.EXE or Windows Updates (the two are tied together).

Is your system having problems, or is it just that the report says "error"?

If not having problems, then don't worry about it.

If you are having problems (and they haven't been answered here), try the Windows Update forum at http://www.sysnative.com

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 03:54 PM

Corrupt SFC files don't mean that there's a problem with your system.

FWIW - there's at least 2 files I know of that are false errors.

BUT, I am not an expert with SFC.EXE or Windows Updates (the two are tied together).

Is your system having problems, or is it just that the report says "error"?

If not having problems, then don't worry about it.

If you are having problems (and they haven't been answered here), try the Windows Update forum at http://www.sysnative.com

The problem is I'm actually having some problems with my USB port(s). I have to use a headset so I can use Dragon NaturallySpeaking software to run my computer because I'm disabled and every 15 to 30 minutes it quits working and I have to reboot in order to get it working again. I tried changing headsets and ports with no effect and if I just close the software and reopen it it doesn't cure the problem.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:57 AM

Then try the Windows Update forum at Sysnative.

They are very, very busy - so it may take time to get a response.

#9 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:26 AM

Hi Msradell,

I`ve seen multiple drivers problems with migration from swampy old OS to Windows 10.

Did you try resting your PC without loosing data?

For me that work on 100% with my external HDD USB problems.

I hope this will help.

#10 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:04 PM

Hi Msradell,

I`ve seen multiple drivers problems with migration from swampy old OS to Windows 10.

Did you try resting your PC without loosing data?

For me that work on 100% with my external HDD USB problems.

I hope this will help.

I didn't have any problems when I migrated from Windows 7x64 Pro to Windows 10x64 Pro, I only got problems when I installed the TH2 update.   I certainly wouldn't have expected to happen at that time, I would've understood it a lot more if the initial migration.

#11 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:28 PM

Sounds like some problems related to new drivers contained in TH2 to me.  Are the USB ports on a desktop or laptop?  Are the USB ports you're plugging into usb 3.0 or 2.0?? 

If you have a desktop, make sure you plug your headset into the REAR ports of your computer case, NOT the front ports.  The REAR ports are always stronger, as they have a much shorter cable run (like 1-inch) versus front ports which could be anywhere from 12-24 inches from the Mobo to the front panel USB port connectors.  Many home users are not aware of this subtlety.  Last week I installed a brand new WD MyPassport 1TB hard drive onto a Customer's machine where the old 1TB usb drive failed.  After connecting, I could see the folders on the WD 1TB drive in Windows Explorer, but could not copy files from a flash drive where the Customer's backup files were to the new drive, nor from the Internal drive to the new drive either! 

Of course I plugged into the 6 year old Win7 clone desktop via a front USB port.  The light came on as I solved this problem before by relocating the WD 1TB new drive to a rear USB port, and then I was able to copy away in both configurations with no problems!  You're problem may be just this simple.

Also, you can take your headset and your Dragon software and install onto another PC you have running W10 or a friend's or family member's.  If it works on their W10 machine ok (make sure they have the TH2 update installed first), then it's something that just got scrambled on your PC.  You could also try SYSTEM RESTORE to rollback your PC prior to the TH2 update, and then pull it down again.  I'd also urge you to turn off any antivirus, antispyware, or personal firewall programs running prior to reattempting the TH2 update again, as if you don't your AV or Security programs could be blocking files or components in the update that it perceives as threats to your computers, and block them from installing properly.   The only way this isn't an issue is if you are doing a Clean Install and have no AV or security programs yet installed.  I did this just yesterday, and the update came down and worked flawlessy! 

Best of luck, :thumbup2:

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Edited by BIGBEARJEDI, 18 November 2015 - 12:29 PM.

#12 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:28 PM

The ports are on a laptop and were working fine before the TH2 update. I've tried plugging the microphone and each of the different ports on the laptop, 4 in total and the problem doesn't change. I didn't try It on another PC but I did try a different headset/USB soundcard combination on this machine and had the same problem. I'm going to try doing a complete reinstall from scratch of TH2 in a little while. I always do things like get off-line and install everything before installing my security software (Norton Security).

Thanks for the ideas!

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:02 AM

Please post the sfc /scannow log.

To find sfc /scannow log, reopen the Elevated Command Prompt using the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key method outlined in the instructions above. 

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the following in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click/tap on this to open the log, copy and paste it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users