Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Initialize Disk

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SinisterMatti

SinisterMatti

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:53 PM

I purchased a used MSI laptop last night and decided to do a clean windows installation. The laptop has a 250gb SSD (where I installed the OS) and a 500gb HDD, both internal. Before reinstalling windows 7 64 bit both storage drives were functioning perfectly. After the install the 500gb drive doesn't show up in My Computer. 

When I go to disk management the disk shows up as "Disk 1" status "Unknown" and "Not Initialized." The partitions that are functioning correctly are my SSD Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) and Data Healthy(System, Active, Primary Partition). I right click on Disk 1 and go to initialize disk and I'm prompted to use either MBR or GPT. No matter which option I choose, I get the error "The system cannot find the file specified." 

I've verified the HDD is showing up in Device Manager and I've searched for new drivers with windows saying the driver is up to date. Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I've been googling it for the last hour and haven't found anyone with the exact same problem.

Edited by hamluis, 15 November 2015 - 06:40 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SinisterMatti

SinisterMatti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:18 AM

Here are some screen shots of my issue. http://imgur.com/a/tZPs5

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:36 AM

I have never seen that problem. I would try partitioning and formatting using Partition Wizard. All steps are virtual until you click Apply.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/create-partition.html

#4 SinisterMatti

SinisterMatti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:58 AM

I used Partition Wizard to delete the old partition and format a new one, but I'm still having the same issue.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:40 AM

What error does Partition Wizard give? Does it create the partition or does it fail? If Partition Wizard did complete the partition and format, are you saying it still shows as uninitialized in Disk Management?

A disk that asks to be initialized is usually a clean unformatted disk. But, you said you deleted an old partition. There was an existing partition on the drive and Windows still said it was unintialized?

Download Seatools for Windows and run the long and short test. You may want to attach the drive to a different SATA port if possible.

Edit: There was not any data you needed on the 500GB disk was there? If so, they I would stop and you need to recover the data if possible after deleting the partition on the 500GB drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 November 2015 - 11:52 AM.

#6 SinisterMatti

SinisterMatti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:03 PM

What error does Partition Wizard give? Does it create the partition or does it fail? If Partition Wizard did complete the partition and format, are you saying it still shows as uninitialized in Disk Management?

A disk that asks to be initialized is usually a clean unformatted disk. But, you said you deleted an old partition. There was an existing partition on the drive and Windows still said it was unintialized?

Download Seatools for Windows and run the long and short test. You may want to attach the drive to a different SATA port if possible.

Edit: There was not any data you needed on the 500GB disk was there? If so, they I would stop and you need to recover the data if possible after deleting the partition on the 500GB drive.

Partition Wizard doesn't give an error. It does create the partition. After deleting the old partition, formatting, and creating the new partition It still shows uninitialized in disk management. So there is a partition, and windows is still saying uninitialized. I just pulled the hdd out of the laptop and installed it in my desktop and everything works perfectly in my desktop. Unfortunately I can't try a different sata port on the laptop as I only have the one free. I'll try running seatools, but since the drive works on my desktop, it stands to reason that it's not a hdd issue. It would be an amazing coincidence if the sata connector on the laptop just happened to go back while reinstalling an OS, so I'm leaning toward some kind of software issue. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd really appreciate it.

Update: I downloaded and ran SeaTools and it doesn't detect the drive so I'm unable to scan it.

Edited by SinisterMatti, 15 November 2015 - 12:11 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:15 PM

Sorry, I missed the laptop part in your first post. Can you switch drives on the laptop? Does this laptop have two drives as default or did you use an adapter in the optical drive location?

If the disk is detected in the other PC I would not bother with Seatools but it is strange that Partition Wizard can detect and format the drive and Windows does not see it as initialized. To check if this is a Windows issue download Puppy Linux and burn the iso file. Boot the disk and at the Puppy desktop you will see your hard drives in the lower left. The SSD would be sda and the HDD most likely sdb. Clicking once on the 500GB drive will mount the drive and open a File Manager. If Puppy successfully mounts the drive then we are dealing with a Windows issue.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

tahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso

Edit: Does this computer have a BIOS or is it UEFI?

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 November 2015 - 12:18 PM.

#8 SinisterMatti

SinisterMatti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:37 PM

I just booted the laptop into PuppyLinux and I am able to mount the HDD, so I think you're right. It is a windows issue. I just checked, and the laptop does have Bios, not UEFI.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:42 PM

Do you see any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager, possibly on the HDD controllers? What is the model number of the MSI? You may need to install the Chipset or Storage Control drivers if this was a clean install of Windows.

#10 SinisterMatti

SinisterMatti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:48 PM

Do you see any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager, possibly on the HDD controllers? What is the model number of the MSI? You may need to install the Chipset or Storage Control drivers if this was a clean install of Windows.

The only exclamation mark is for network controller (I haven't been able to find the driver for the wifi adapter yet). The 500gb drive shows up under Disk Drives, labeled as "500Gb." Properties says the device is functioning properly, and there are no updated drivers available. The laptop is an MSI GT683R. I downloaded and installed the Chipset drivers immediately after reformatting. MSI doesn't have a Storage Control driver for this laptop available for download unfortunately.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:02 PM

Then I am not sure what the issue is unfortunately. I noticed in the specs here that the drive was listed as RAID 0. In BIOS is your setting listed as RAID or AHCI? I also noticed that the computer listed as having Windows 8. I am pretty sure SecureBoot is disabled as you would not have been able to install Windows 7.

I noticed on the driver page the Intel Rapid Storage Controller driver is listed. I would install that. I also noticed a number of wireless drivers but I can't give you the correct one until you provide the Vendor and Device ID line I requested above.

I can get you the wireless driver if needed. Right click the Device in Device Manager and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware Ids in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

You may want to do a sfc /scannow at an elevated command prompt. This will look for any missing or corrupt files.

#12 SinisterMatti

SinisterMatti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:38 PM

I don't know how I missed that Rapid Storage Controller. Installed it now. Bios is listing AHCI. The laptop originally came with Windows 7, but when windows 8 came out they updated their website and the remaining laptops with windows 8. This one came from the factory with windows 7. I ran SFC /ScanNow from an admin command prompt and didn't have any results. I went into Partition Wizard again, deleted the partition, created a new one, and formatted just in case something was wrong, but no results. Here's a picture in case I'm missing something. (sorry about the picture quality). 

LeXN6Bk.jpg

Edited by SinisterMatti, 15 November 2015 - 01:38 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:44 PM

I am not sure it makes a difference but see if formatting the partition as primary instead of logical works. I can't remember the 8MB partition being at the beginning of the disk using Partition Wizard. After partitioning as primary move the NTFS partition to the beginning of the disk if the 8MB partition is first. I am starting to run out ideas on this unfortunately. 

Edit: If the disk still shows as not initialized after using a primary partition try the following. Delete all partitions on the disk. Initialize as GPT. Then partition and format as primary.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 November 2015 - 01:57 PM.

#14 SinisterMatti

SinisterMatti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:53 PM

Well, I really do appreciate the effort you put into this JohnC. I switched it to primary, but no change. 

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 02:01 PM

See my edited post. Try using GPT. If that fails then do a zero wipe of the drive and then partition/format as MBR. If that does not work then I am out of ideas, sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users