Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DOS on smartphone?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MarkusK

MarkusK

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 07:50 PM

Hello!
I am really interested in DOS but i haven't got time to get my hands on it. I can't get it on computer because i don't have my own and we share one PC with our family. So i was wondering about if there is any way to get DOS on smartphone/android.
If there's any way to do it, please let me know in the comments.

Thanks!

Markus

Edited by MarkusK, 15 November 2015 - 08:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:31 AM

It would have to be a vitualized dos box, and I don't know that there are many phones if at all that support virtualization. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 MarkusK

MarkusK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:49 AM

But is there any way to get command prompt in android?

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:52 AM

None that I know of.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:13 PM

Virtualbox is not supported on Android. And Virtualbox would be your best option to run DOS.

See explanations why it not supported on Android here: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57002

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:01 AM

You can create a bootable flash drive for FreeDos using Rufus. Unetbootin may be able to create a bootable flash drive for FreeDos and include a Persistent partition...

meaning you will be able to save data in a small 4gb partition on the flash drive.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

(2) Non exhaustive list of ISOs Rufus is known to work with Arch LinuxArchbangBartPE/pebuilderCentOSDamn Small LinuxDebianFedora FreeDOS FreeNASGentooGPartedgNewSenseHiren's Boot CDLiveXPKnoppixKolibriOSKubuntuLinux MintNT Password Registry EditorParted MagicPartition WizardRaspbianReactOSRed HatrEFIndSlackwareSuper Grub2 DiskTailsTrinity Rescue KitUbuntuUltimate Boot CDWindows XP (SP2+)Windows Server 2003 R2Windows VistaWindows 7Windows 8Windows 8.1Windows 10 ,  …

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FreeDOS

FreeDOS is a free DOS-compatible operating system that you can use to play classic DOS games, run legacy business software, or develop embedded systems. FreeDOS is basically like MS-DOS, but better!

Is FreeDOS really free?

Yes, FreeDOS is really free. It doesn't cost anything to download and run FreeDOS. Even better, FreeDOS is Open source software; you can view and edit our source code. All FreeDOS programs are distributed under the GNU General Public License ("GNU GPL") or a similar open source software license.

Edited by buddy215, 24 November 2015 - 07:18 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:38 AM

Buddy 215 this would not give him DOS on a cell phone but would give him a way to run DOS on his family shared PC.

I guess that is where you are going?

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,118 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:51 PM

Or a flash drive....

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:20 PM

But would he be able to connect a flash drive to a cell phone?  None of the phones we have you can do that. Maybe with the cable to transfer pictuers from the phone to my PC. I have no idea if would work going in the other direction.  Just asking.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,118 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:02 AM

I was thinking more about using a bootable flash with persistence if possible...as stated in my first post. Then using the computer

without changing anything on the computer or storing anything on the computer's hdd. Whether that would be allowed...use time...or

not I don't know as the OP hasn't responded.

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 11,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:13 AM

I suspect the OP is using the term DOS to describe a Command Line Interface, rather than specifically MS-DOS or compatible.

Maybe?:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm&hl=en

Top 5 things that never get done:

#12 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:05 PM

I suspect the OP is using the term DOS to describe a Command Line Interface, rather than specifically MS-DOS or compatible.

Maybe?:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm&hl=en

Nice find I did not know that even existed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users