Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello all

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gonzo67

gonzo67

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 06:49 PM

Greetings all...

I'm a long time gamer from back when you actually had to know how to use a computer to play computer games. Born in the 60's, grew up and got corrupted in the 70's, tried to become respectable in the 80's, finally managed respectability in the 90's, and now in 00's I have recently learned that to the young bucks at work... I'm that crotchety grey hairs freak that hates console game systems, and foolishly believes in the superiority of PC Gamming.

Heck with 'em... what do those kids know anyway?

My father worked for Michigan Bell then AT&T when Bell folded, his whole life. Retired from there. He was a technician, and brought home a new computer every 6 months or so. I started my exploration into the PC back before Bill Gates began his quest to hold the world hostage through the Windows menace... but I've never been an Apple fan, so I guess I'm destined to serve the tyrant forever.

I've never been much in the programming or coding side of the industry, rather I've always been drawn more to the "building and upgrading" side of computers. Which explains my "learning process" in computers. My father was frequently given new computers frequently, for him to use to work from home. He wasn't an early "Telecommuter", they didn't have those back then. But AT&T did use some things that having a PC at home enabled him to get more work done.

The kind of kid I was, I soon learned that these things also could have games on them.

I still have my first computer. It was given to me by my father when they upgraded him to a new PC, I got a Kaypro Model II. It didn't run DOS or Windows. Those did not exist then. The operating System was CPM, it has 2 5.25 floppy drives, 9 inch green monochrome monitor, 10 meg hard drive, no graphics, and was cutting edge tech!

When my father had to go out of town on business, I was at the desk with a screwdriver and some "upgrades" I got from friends, and I would inevitably screw something up. When dad got home, I got in trouble, but I also got an education. I would watch him fix it, all the while being told how horribly I would be mangled if I ever did anything like that again.

I didn't know what he was so upset about. I only broke his work computer, he got it for free, he knew how to fix it, and besides, I was just trying to make his work computer... well... work better! After all, if it could be upgraded with a new "No Slot Clock" so you didn't have to type in the time and date every time you turned it on, it would allow him to get more work done. (and allow me to get to the games faster when he wasn't home!)

His next trip out of town came, and before walking out the door, he informed me that I was not allowed within 25 feet of his new computer while holding any kind of screw driving implement. This was to include screwdrivers, butter knives, any other knife in general, dimes or quarters, or any flat metal object that could even remotely appear to be able to fit in the slot of the screws on the back of the computer.

But there WERE extenuating circumstances. This new computer of his had GRAPHICS! That's right! CGA! 3 colors... RGB baby! And a friend of mine had a disk with SSI's Dungeons And Dragons, Pool Of Radiance! But we're gonna require some upgrades!

Well, when dad got home, naturally I was in trouble again. But again I watched as he fixed the results of my latest exploration into the tech world, and I eventually got to the point where I was able to fix my blunders myself before he got home, and thus, stay out of trouble more often. Eventually, I managed to make upgrades WITHOUT breaking things... And well... Here I am.

He has since retired from AT&T, I have long since grown up, graduated high school, joined the Navy, served my 4 years and got out, left Detroit and moved to a small town in South Carolina, and living my life the best I can. I speak to my parents and sister frequently, see them when ever possible (I drive up to Detroit more often than they drive down here, the 8+ hour drive is easier on me than them. I am, after all, nearly 50 years old now, and they are considerably PAST 50, so it's up to me to do the driving)

Unfortunately the programming and coding side of it was never able to capture me as much as ripping a system open and playing with all the fiddly bits inside.

But, as I am here, I'm sure you guess that I have run into an issue that requires some intervention from the side of the field I am not proficient in, and thus, I will now depart to another section of this forum to see what can be accomplished there.

Nice to meet y'all, and hope to talk to ya in the threads.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 07:34 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

As a new member be sure to read the Welcome to Bleeping Computer! Guide and the following...Best regards
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users