Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading old computer or buy new setup?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 holzmechel

holzmechel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 06:18 PM

Greetings!

As my computer is getting pretty old by now, I decided to get either a new one or upgrade my old one.

The question is: Is it worth keeping any parts of my pc, or is it a better idea to build one from scratch.

As the pc is pretty old, some parts have already changed since i bought it about 6 or 7 years ago.

Upgrades:

switched from 3gb DDR2 ram to 4gb

switched from windows vista to windows 7

added 2 'second hand' harddrives 

added a 120mm fan 

Problems I have with my pc:

graphics card is outdated

some problems with multitasking (not as fluent as i want it to be)

I will attatch a picture with some details about the pc. ( sorry for the crappy screen shots )

I hope to get some helpfull opinions from you guys ! 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 06:39 PM

No one...can/should...decide such but you.

There are very few persons who actually buy systems or components...out of NEED, IMO.  That, if such is true, makes spending money on a system purely a subjective one, varying person by person.

I buy components/systems when I feel the urge/desire to do so...I don't need 3 desktops, 1 laptop...and all the extra components I have...but I bought them all on whim.

It's your money...you determine when and how you want to spend it. 

You don't need to justify spending money in this country :).  Think of all those persons who are going to think that they are really "getting a deal" by virtue of "Black Friday" sales...when, in reality, they probably could have acquired the majority of those items at the same price...sometime during the year just by being judicious shoppers.

Louis

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 07:41 PM

upgrade my old one

If your computer is 6/7 yrs old, upgrading is pretty much a waste of money. Technology has advanced so far that you probably will have trouble finding the components (with the exception of HDDs) to upgrade with. And, in the end, if your motherboard fails (which is not uncommon with older units) there is no possibility of replacing with one that will mount your current CPU. You will be forced to turn to Ebay for used boards, and usually ridiculous prices are charged because they are not manufactured any more. In fact, most components that fail will cost nearly what new components would cost. If you want proof of this, go on Newegg.com and price your current components If you can find them) and you will discover what I mean.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users