Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Explorer New Folder and also double-clicking problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DJQuad

DJQuad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:24 PM

Hey all, a few days ago my Windows 8.1 File Explorer started acting weird. I can’t create a new folder, nor does double-clicking work to enter a directory. There aren’t any errors, it just doesn’t work. I AM able to create folders via the command line via mkdir though. Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,547 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 06:29 PM

I would be inclined to a Windows restore to a date before this problem started, you should have a suitable restore since this only started a few days ago.

Click 'Win key + X - Control panel - Recovery - Open System Restore'. This will take you to a screen listing the most recent restore point(s). If there isn't one listed from before the date this problem started then click the button 'More restore points'. Then start the restore process. Accept the warnings about this being irreversible and let it do it, it may take 10 minutes or so - do NOT interrupt the process. When it is finished you will get a message either 'Successful' or 'Failed - no changes were made'

If it worked, try Win Explorer again. You may need to re-install any updates between the date of your restore point and now. I suggest doing them one at a time and testing Win Explorer after each one since it is possible an update caused this problem.

If the restore didn't work, then uninstall any recent updates one at a time and test again.

NOTE - A restore should not have any effect on your installed programs and data, but it is a good idea to back up your data before starting.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 DJQuad

DJQuad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately there are no restore points even though "Turn on system protection" is enabled in settings. I've uninstalled all programs since the problem started but it didn't help.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:24 PM

Please run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To run sfc /scannow in Windows 8 you will need to open the Elevated Command Prompt.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste in sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

This will take a while,  have patience and allow it finish.  Stopping this scan could damage files.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

To find sfc /scannow log, reopen the Elevated Command Prompt using the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key method outlined in the instructions above. 

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the following in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click/tap on this to open the log, copy and paste it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users