Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashing When "certain" Games Run

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mojinko

Mojinko

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:15 PM

Whenever I try to run certain games, so far I have had trouble with Gunbound, Rakion, SilkRoad, and LineageII, my computer programs just crash. With some games it is only Windows Explorer that crashes, and most of my programs need to be restarted (any other games that are going, xfire, winamp, firefox if it's open.)
I have had this problem for months now, and have just been trying to get around it, but constantly having to uninstall new games that I want to play is getting incedibly annoying and inconvenient. It may or not be virus related, but I do have multiple scanning programs as well as a MacAfee firewall and scanning set running at most times (it deactivates at some points for no real reason.)

Anyone have a clue what is going on here or how I can fix it?
Thanks in advance,
Moji

Edited by Mojinko, 22 July 2006 - 03:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:36 PM

I've heard similars stories when people dont have enough RAM. How much RAM do you have? (To check your ram simply right-click My Computer and click properties.

Edited by Nat Sci, 22 July 2006 - 03:37 PM.

Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

#3 Mojinko

Mojinko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:39 PM

My computer has 1Gb of RAM.

#4 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:49 PM

Your computer might overheat... Do you have problem playing games (If you do ahve any) like Half Life 2 or Quake 4. For example a game with 3d graphics and uses alot of memory? Also what version of DirectX do you have? And when your computer crashes does it restart or anything of the sort?
~Edit~ Oh, and did yyou upgrade or install anything new before these problems first started to occur?

Edited by Nat Sci, 22 July 2006 - 03:52 PM.

Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!

#5 Mojinko

Mojinko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:52 PM

I can play games like RF Online, World of Warcraft, Oblivion, Black and White 2.. etc etc without any lag at all.
*adds heroes of might and magic 5 to the list*
I'm fairly certain that I have directX 10, but I forget where you check that.
or maybe not, my friend in vent says that does'nt exist..
edit again: I have DirectX 9.0c

Edited by Mojinko, 22 July 2006 - 03:58 PM.

#6 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:57 PM

DirectX 10 will be out on Vista. Which games causes the worst problems And What programs do you run while playing it. Have you ever tried disabling some programs?

#7 Mojinko

Mojinko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:59 PM

I would say Gunbound, because that one makes me go into safe mode, and uninstall it, before I can normally run windows again. Just a tad bit strange eh?

#8 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 04:04 PM

Do you have and games that crash and have single player? If so you can try playing single player. I know gunbound and rakion isnt. And did you ever try disabling some programs?

#9 Mojinko

Mojinko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 04:11 PM

I have tried running the games that crash my computer even when I have just restarted my computer, and the removed any of the programs that start with my computer, and still no dice. None of the games that I have crashed with have single player, and none of them are non-online games, if that makes any difference.

#10 deadsleeper

deadsleeper

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:40 PM

did you try to obtain the latest drivers for your video card?

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:35 PM

I agree with deadsleeper - most often it's corrupted video drivers that cause this sort of problem (it's also the cheapest fix!). While doing this, stick with the manufacturer's certified or WHQL drivers until the troubleshooting process is finished.

Also try updating your sound, NIC, and motherboard/chipset drivers.

After that, try running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the command prompt. When it's finished (it won't tell you - it'll just go away), if it has asked for your Windows CD, please visit Windows Update to ensure that all your updates are still installed.

And, if that fails, then try a repair install. Here's some directions: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If all of this doesn't work, then we'll have to start looking at hardware problems.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users