Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootable/Live CDs question for Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TonyToklas

TonyToklas

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:57 AM

If Windows 8.1 becomes non-functional are the Ultimate Boot CD 5.3.5 and Hirens Bootdisc CDs v 15.x suitable for restoring function? If not, then what would be useful?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:16 AM

what do u mean by "non-functional"?

you can use your windows installation disc to repair the system

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:19 AM

Please explain exactly what is not working with this computer.

It would also help to know the make and model of this computer.

Hiren's BootCD is a good tool with a lot of tools, but without knowing what you have going here I can't recommend it.

You can download a Windows 8.1 ISO image which you can use to create a installation disc.  If you are interested in this I will provide you with a link to the Microsoft download site and instructions for burning the ISO file to a disc.

Edited by dc3, 14 November 2015 - 10:26 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:22 AM

you can use your windows installation disc to repair the system

Unless this is a custom build they wouldn't have the installation disc since OEM computers have a System Recovery partition rather than the manufacturer providing a installation disc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 TonyToklas

TonyToklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for all replies.

" non-functional" =  won't boot    Note: some people i know are puzzled by this word and think it is something strictly foot-related

Correct. I received no installation disc  with this basic Dell Inspiron nor  a manual nor was the link provided by customer service helpful.

Also, in order to get the PC up and running I had to approve the user agreement. A very lengthy read which had a provision in it to

sign away all rights to any participatory class-actions suits. A refusal to sign requires you to return the PC.  So I am not expecting it

to have a long life. Longer boot-up times and funky error codes that disappear b4 i can write them down are getting me ready for trouble.

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:55 AM

how far does it get during the startup process?

it could be hardware related and not software,

you could try booting using hirens and see if you can read the hard drive,

if you can you can try restoring the registry to an earlier time,

you can also make a bootable 8.1 usb stick by downloading a windows 8.1 iso file, then making it into a bootable usb stick using a program like rufus,

after that you can boot with the usb and perform startup repair, or use other advanced startup tools to repair it,

if all that fails you can install windows 8.1 again with the usb stick but that will wipe the drive,

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:22 PM

in order to get the PC up and running I had to approve the user agreement. A very lengthy read which had a provision in it to

sign away all rights to any participatory class-actions suits. A refusal to sign requires you to return the PC.  

Where did you get this computer.  I've never seen or heard of any agreement of this type.

Is this a legal copy of Windows?

#8 TonyToklas

TonyToklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:33 PM

TO:Arachibutyrophobia

It is a Dell inspiron desktop bought online.I registered the Windows op thru the standard  procedure. You bet its legal.This

denial of class-action rights [ which necessitates arbritration] is the NEW thing creeping into these user agreements. Read carefully.

Its happening with cellphones,hardware,brokerage accounts,etc. The corporations are getting more powerful.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:34 AM

Please post the exact error message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users