Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crippled machine barely runs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bartkalk

Bartkalk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:10 AM

Dell Inspirion 660
Windows 10 64 bit

Prompted to install new version of Java and did so (version 8 build 65)
Prompted to uninstall previous versions of Java and clicked Yes or the equivalent
Machine suddenly rebooted on its own about 10 seconds later - it was a sudden and not clean reboot
Machine didn't come up after reboot - sat on the Dell logo screen forever
I tried several power cycle reboots and eventually left the machine on and walked away for several hours
When I came back, found error code indicating hard disk error (sorry I misplaced the code) and Google search indicated that the hard disk was fried and needed to be replaced. I wasn't ready to give up however.

When restarting the computer (power off and power on) it often won't start right away - power is on, fans are on, but doesn't bring up Dell screen to allow me to F12 into BIOS setup. Is made me suspicious that it was something beyond hard drive failure.
I downloaded Avast startup files onto USB and eventually was able to use that to run. It found a handful of files that it deleted that were in the Dell Backup and Restore directory (again, sorry that no don't have a record of those files). It also found other files that it couldn't delete as they were no longer there after the scan was done. Those files are:

- c:\windows\system32\logfiles\wmi\LwtNetlog.etl
- c:\windows\system32\logfiles\wmi\RtBackup\EtwRTEventLog-System.etl
- c:\windows\INF\netcfgx.0.etl
- c:\windows\security\scesetuplog.etl

I also tried starting up with Windows Defender Offline from USB, but it claimed that it couldn't find the hard drive.

Now I am in a situation where the computer will boot up into Windows 10, but is very very slow. When I bring up Task Manager, the Avast Service is pegging CPU resources. Another symptom is that the system date is November 13, 3015 (perhaps one of the things that is causing Avast to go haywire?) and I am not able to manually change the date. When I go into the BIOS I have found that the date has been reset to 1/1/2009 on two occasions.

Finally, when getting to the add/remove programs dialog, I see that I have a recent GoToMeeting installation that I don't recall making. A Google search suggests that could be a problem.

The machine is unusable due to the Avast resource hogging and unstable due to the date.

I appreciate in advance any advice or suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:37 AM

Using Avast free or fee?  Either way, after things get working again, modify or change Avast to only install the modules you really want, and leave the rest to be uninstalled.

Meanwhile, presently, a long shot that might help make Windows run smoother:  tweaking.com's Windows Repair (All in One), Safe Mode with Networking, accept defaults, add items #26 and 27.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Bartkalk

Bartkalk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:46 AM

Avast free. Basic setup. Disabling the shields doesn't cause the Avast Service to stop. Will check out tweaking.com.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:32 AM

Avast free. Basic setup. Disabling the shields doesn't cause the Avast Service to stop. Will check out tweaking.com.

I didn't mean the shields, sorry for not saying so earlier, I meant thingies such as:  browser cleaner, software updater, grimefighter or somethingScan, etc.  By all means leave the shields running.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users