Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Green IT Dept Head Seeking Advice for Policy: BYOD or ???

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bulldawg23

Bulldawg23

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:27 PM

I'm a freshly appointed IT Dept Head(basically a jack of all trades, master of none type position, or at least that's where I'm at now) for a company with ~100+ end users. They all have different kinds of laptops and tablets currently and I am not interested in supporting the hardware at all, nor do I have time. I can probably do basic software troubleshooting from email to OS issues to malware but I have too many other more important tasks to worry about Jane in advertising's laptop not working. 

So basically, I want to implement some kind of future policy regarding the equipment. Is BYOD the way to go? Perhaps give them a budget and have them select and be responsible for their own device? Or better off partnering with Dell or Lenovo or whoever and giving them a budget and sticking to a few different laptop models and tablets? Leasing vs buying?

Just looking for any and all advice as I have no idea what the best, most headache free route would be. 

Thanks for all the advice and feel free to ask questions if you need more detail.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:33 AM

BYOD is not the way to go. If the devices are for company use it should be provided and supported by the company. Employees should be using company equipment for work related tasks not for personal computing. If your the "IT Dept Head" isn't it your responsibity to support company computers? If it's outside of your skill set and you have an unwillingness to learn. Sounds like you were thrown into the position and its not a position you want.Laptop hardware issues are somewhat of a refined skill. Sometimes it's best to purchase new/off lease units with an extended hardware warranty.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 15 November 2015 - 01:34 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Bulldawg23

Bulldawg23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:57 PM

BYOD is not the way to go. If the devices are for company use it should be provided and supported by the company. Employees should be using company equipment for work related tasks not for personal computing. If your the "IT Dept Head" isn't it your responsibity to support company computers? If it's outside of your skill set and you have an unwillingness to learn. Sounds like you were thrown into the position and its not a position you want.Laptop hardware issues are somewhat of a refined skill. Sometimes it's best to purchase new/off lease units with an extended hardware warranty.

It is my responsibility, ultimately; perhaps you missed the part where I said I do not have time to fix hardware issues on their equipment which is why I am looking to "farm out" or contract with an OEM like Dell or Lenovo...if BYOD is not the way to go. No need to make those assumptions; I honestly have other issues that are frankly more important which is why I am looking for an alternative...just looking for a successful strategy.

The other key fact I left out is the end users are in 20+ different locations. 

Thanks for the response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users