Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get audio drivers to load in new ASUS Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:03 PM

I just put together a new computer using an ASUS B150M-A D3 motherboard. After getting everything connected, and loading the Windows 7 OS (the original version of Windows 7, not the SP1 version) I proceeded to insert the DVD that came with the motherboard to load all of the drivers. When the installation procedure was complete, I found that all of the drivers had loaded except the Realtek HD Audio driver. I tried to install it again a couple of more times, but each time the install got to 99% and then quit with the message that the installation had failed.

I went out to the ASUS web site and found that they had two drivers for this device, one a little older than the other, so I downloaded both of them and installed the newest one. I got a message that the installation had completed successfully.

I rebooted and then checked the speaker icon in the System Tray and it had a red "X" through it. Hovering the mouse over it showed the following message: "No Audio Output Device is installed."

I went into the Device Manager to Sound, Video, and Game Controllers. Two devices were listed: High Definition Audio Device and Intel Display Audio. A quick check of the Intel device showed me that the device was working correctly.

I double clicked the High Definition Audio Device and under the General tab it showed: "No drivers are installed for this device". I clicked the Driver tab and then clicked the Update Drivers button. Windows worked on it for a few seconds and then put up an error window with the following information:

"Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

Realtek High Definition Audio

The extended attributes are inconsistent."

I then installed the older driver from the ASUS site and again got the message that the driver had installed properly. However, going into Device Manager again and trying to install the driver for the High Definition Audio, Windows failed with the same message as above.

I finally decided to connect the computer to the internet and see if Windows could find a driver there that would work. When I started the driver installation, Windows put up the message that it was searching online for a driver and apparently it found one but it eventually put up the same message as given above.

It's interesting to note that if I plug an HDMI cable into the back of the computer and connect it to an HDTV, the red "X" over the speaker icon goes away and I get sound out of the television speakers. However, if I only plug a set of PC speakers into the green audio jack at the rear of the computer (i.e., no HDMI cable connected) I get no sound through the PC speakers and the red "X" is still present.

I'm at a loss to know where to go from here, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be interested in hearing them.

Edited by hamluis, 14 November 2015 - 12:13 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:12 PM

You bought this motherboard new from a retailer?

Louis

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:15 PM

Louis,

Yes, I bought it new from Amazon.

Actually, I was able to resolve this problem a short time ago, at least temporarily. After powering up the computer this morning, I went into the Device Manager and selected the HD Audio device. I checked it's status and there was no driver installed and I had the red "X" over the speaker icon. I noticed that the ROLL BACK DRIVER button was available. I wasn't sure what good trying to rolling back the driver would do since there was no driver installed, but I figured "What the heck, it can't mess up anything worse than it already is" so I clicked it and voila, the "X" over the speaker icon went away, the status of the HD Audio device read "This device is working properly" and now I get sound out of the PC speakers.

I don't know what the problem was but perhaps the modern driver from the ASUS site was not compatible with the original version of Windows 7. I just installed SP1 this morning so we'll see what happens after all updates are installed and I then try to install the ASUS driver from their site.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:30 PM

Nice work :).

Many labor under the false assumption...that the newest drivers are the best for a given device...when, in actuality, a working driver is a good driver and needs no updating.  Where the compnents are not of recent vintage, I would never suggest installing the latest drivers available...I prefer to reinstall from the drivers disk which came with the motherboard/system. 

Happy computing :).

Louis

#5 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:16 PM

Louis,

Wise advice...!!!