Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost a folder....

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Xentro

Xentro

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:24 PM

Ok so a few days ago I opened a little movie file that I had on my computer on another drive than my main windows drive.

Today I tried to find it again and it's gone. To be a little more specific, the folder in which the movie file was situated is completely gone from my windows explorer. The particular folder was located in a map with other subfolders, none of them is gone, only this particular one. I have not done anything with the files or folders on this drive since opening the movie for the last time.

I can find the folder when I use the search tool, however I cannot open it. I also cannot find the movie file in this way.

I have had some PC crashes in the past few days, I wonder if these might have anything to do with it.

I cannot find the folder in my bin.

I'm using windows 10. 

Is there any way to recover this folder and in particular this movie file?

Feel free to ask for any additional info.

Thanks in advance, Xentro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:41 PM

G'day Xentro, and Welcome to BC

I doubt that this will actually bring you much joy.....however it may still be worth a try

Download an install    EVERYTHING

When it has installed and scanned (it is very quick...it will scan all attached drives)...type the name of your movie etc in the search line at the top......

If it is present...it will be found.

Failing this....try  RECUVA

It is also a free program, but just be wary of any "add ons" when you download.....eg chrome browser etc etc....

Read the blurb for recuva...it works quite well.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Xentro

Xentro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:48 PM

Thank you so much for this already.

So I installed EVERYTHING and it found both my folder and the video file, however when I try to open it I get a popup from windows telling me it cannot find the file. What do I do now that I've found it?

Edited by Xentro, 13 November 2015 - 05:48 PM.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:55 PM

I noticed you said you opened the movie file on another drive...other than your main windows drive....

Do you have that drive plugged in while Everything is doing its scan ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Xentro

Xentro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:57 PM

The file is on another drive but it is plugged into my motherboard. It's just a drive that I use for data not for my system if you get what I mean, I don't change it's contents very often. So yes the drive was plugged in (it always is) everything scanned and found it, but windows says it can't open it.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:02 PM

Is there any error message when windows announces it cannot open the file ?

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Xentro

Xentro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:03 PM

It just says "Cannot find file "insert path+filename here". Check if you spelled the name correctly and try again. (Idk if this is the exact wording in english, i'm using a dutch windows client, but that's what it says).

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:08 PM

I would download and try Recuva

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 Xentro

Xentro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:12 PM

Okay so the weirdest thing just happened. I download this Recuva thing and when looking for the folder in which my missing folder was located, well that folder is now gone as well. I checked for it in windows explorer and it's gone there. This is really strange, isn't it?

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:22 PM

well.....just in case this helps.....http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9168-hidden-files-folders-drives-show-windows-10-a.html#option1

I am beginning to think the movie has gone poof !

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 Xentro

Xentro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:27 PM

haha ok, so the newest folder disappearance was indeed due to making it hidden somehow (probably cause i was checking if the folder was hidden). Anyways I un-hid the folder and everythng "underlying" but it's still the same as before. The particular folder with my movie is still gone. Trying to run Recuva now, will see if that will give any positive results...

#12 Xentro

Xentro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:50 PM

UPDATE: Recuva gave me my movie back (after three scans, but meh). Thanks a TON, Condobloke, this really means a lot to me!

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:16 PM

Always a pleasure.

That raised a smile here..... :)

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users