Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Officejet 4500 G510n printer "carriage jam" problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gene_L

Gene_L

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:00 PM

This printer is 10 yrs old. Worked fine until this morning. Turned it "on", got "carriage jam" error message. Viewed HP video for the machine, applied all the possible fixes:  clear any paper jams, clean encoder strip, power resets, re-seat cartridges;  still have the same error message. 

When i watch the carriage in action, it does fully slide from right to left a couple of times, like it is working fine; then it sits at the extreme right side for a second, moves forward 6 inches and then slams back to the extreme right position; error message appears.

Any suggestion are appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,743 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:36 PM

Besides the obvious paper path jam, the carriage does an initialization that is as you see it, but what happens is the unit can not see its "home" position.  In the far right corner, under where the carriage would normally set when idle,  is what I call a "spit cup"  it is a small cup or even just a ramp affair to catch the ink ejected during initialization.  Over time, things get gummed up to the point that the home sensor is obscured.  Q-tips and alcohol, maybe even a tiny spoon for severe cases will clean things up.  Ink can also get on the carriage rail and needs to be kept clean and dry, no lube.

#3 Gene_L

Gene_L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:58 PM

Besides the obvious paper path jam, the carriage does an initialization that is as you see it, but what happens is the unit can not see its "home" position.  In the far right corner, under where the carriage would normally set when idle,  is what I call a "spit cup"  it is a small cup or even just a ramp affair to catch the ink ejected during initialization.  Over time, things get gummed up to the point that the home sensor is obscured.  Q-tips and alcohol, maybe even a tiny spoon for severe cases will clean things up.  Ink can also get on the carriage rail and needs to be kept clean and dry, no lube.

Hmmmm. I noticed a small black box, open at the top, which is located under the color print cartridge.  No such box under the black cartridge, just an open space.  Is this black box the spit cup?  Are you suggesting I should clean out the spit cup or just clean around it in hopes I intentionally/unintentionally clean/find  the home sensor?  Really appreciate your help!

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,743 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:05 PM

The little box is the cup.  It also has a small rubber wiping edge on the box to clean the printhead face when it passes over it.

#5 Gene_L

Gene_L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:22 AM

The little box is the cup.  It also has a small rubber wiping edge on the box to clean the printhead face when it passes over it.

I did major clean-up of that general area and the same problem remains: "carriage jam".   The clear "encoder strip", does that tell the carriage head where home is or is there a separate sensor that signals home?  Thanks again.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,743 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:05 PM

Depending on the different configurations, the carriage is driven or moved by a belt.  On that belt is a small tab that moves into a slot where a sensor is mounted.  The tab passes between two small points to indicate the carriage position.  Clean the sensor with a q-tip.  The sensor maybe on the bottom side of the belt and on the left or right side depending on its configuration.

#7 Gene_L

Gene_L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:41 PM

Depending on the different configurations, the carriage is driven or moved by a belt.  On that belt is a small tab that moves into a slot where a sensor is mounted.  The tab passes between two small points to indicate the carriage position.  Clean the sensor with a q-tip.  The sensor maybe on the bottom side of the belt and on the left or right side depending on its configuration.

The belt is firmly attached somewhere underneath the carriage; when the belt moves, the carriage moves.  I cannot see any "tabs" on the belt and no sensors are visible to my eye.  I did a "blind" clean under the carriage where the belt apparently attaches and cleaned everything else that looked suspicious. But, still have the same problem.  The machine is bound for the recycling center. Thank you very much for your time and attention. 

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,743 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:02 PM

As a last resort, HP does have a free tutorial on fixing a carriage jam.  Some units use a small white stripe on the belt and the sensor is under the "home" position.  The ink tends to get everywhere and the stripe on the belt can be obscured.

#9 Gene_L

Gene_L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:03 PM

As a last resort, HP does have a free tutorial on fixing a carriage jam.  Some units use a small white stripe on the belt and the sensor is under the "home" position.  The ink tends to get everywhere and the stripe on the belt can be obscured.

I viewed the HP tutorial prior to my original post.  If there is a white stripe on my belt, it must be on the section of belt that is permanently affixed out-of-sight under the carriage.  Thanks again.

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,743 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:36 PM

Usually to access the stripe, the carriage has to be moved from the home position.

#11 Gene_L

Gene_L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:23 AM

Usually to access the stripe, the carriage has to be moved from the home position.

The belt seems to be permanently attached to the carriage at a specific point. Consequently, when I move the carriage out of the home position, the belt moves with it so I am not able to view that portion of the belt contained within the carriage assembly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users