Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista will not start, System Repair unable to fix problems

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 court0844

court0844

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:30 PM

Hello,

My computer is no longer able to start Windows.  I'm running Windows Vista on a Dell Dimension E521.  Startup Repair is unable to fix my problems.  Here's the info it gave:

Problem Event Name      StartupRepairV2

Problem Signature 01      AutoFailover

Problem Signature 02      6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000

Problem Signature 03      3

Problem Signature 04      65537

Problem Signature 05      unknown

Problem Signature 06      NoRootCause

Problem Signature 07      0

Problem Signature 08      2

Problem Signature 09      WrpRepair

Problem Signature 10      2

OS Version                         6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID                            1033

I had been able to boot into SafeMode, but now it seems to be stalling after\Windows\System32\Driver\aswRvrt.sys.  It was also freezing often for several weeks before this happened, but I had be unable to find a reason for that.  I also checked and it says there is no System Restore point for me to use.  Help?

Update:

Ran StartupRepair again and have slightly different results this time:

Problem Event Name      StartupRepairV2

Problem Signature 01      AutoFailover

Problem Signature 02      6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000

Problem Signature 03      6

Problem Signature 04      262148

Problem Signature 05      NoRootCause

Problem Signature 06      NoRootCause

Problem Signature 07      0

Problem Signature 08      2

Problem Signature 09      WrpRepair

Problem Signature 10      2

OS Version                         6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID                            1033

Edited by court0844, 13 November 2015 - 06:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:50 PM

I am no expert on Vista but it sounds like you could have hard drive problems, in which case your first priority is to recover any data you have on this drive.

I suggest that you create a self-booting copy of Linux, which will run off a CD, to determine if your HD can be accessed and data recovered to external storage. There is a very good and clear tutorial here on how to create a self booting copy of Puppy Linux -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561869/how-to-create-a-secure-multi-session-puppy-cd-with-updatable-firefox-browser/

This will not turn your computer into a Linux machine - running Puppy by itself makes no change to your computer at all as it runs entirely in RAM. When it has booted you will see icons for your hard drives and partitions. They will have names like sda1, sda 2 and so on. You need to click on these to 'mount' them (ie make them active) then you can use Puppy's file manager to look for your data and move it to somewhere safe - USB memory stick, external HD, wherever.

Once your data is safe further steps to repair this computer can be considered.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 court0844

court0844
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:29 PM

Thank you for your help with this.  It looks like I'll need to buy an external hard drive next week during Black Friday.  I have too many family photos saved on that computer for just my flash drive.  So, after I have that and use your info to back up all my info, I'll be ready to actually fix (hopefully) the computer.  I'll get back to you on this as soon as I'm ready for more help. Thanks!

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,209 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:08 AM

boot from your vista install cd and do a system restore to an earlier point,

if you dont have a vista install cd you can make one with an iso file and a program like rufus

#5 court0844

court0844
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:24 PM

I know it's been a really long time since I last updated this, but I haven't had time to try to fix the computer.  I was able to use Puppy Linux to save all of the information that was important to me (photos, documents, etc) from the computer.  I would love to now see if it can be repaired without worrying about losing anything important.  If I need to replace the hard drive, that's okay too, but if it can be saved, that would be my first choice.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:53 PM

Yes, it has been a while !

In a sense, since you have copied all the important data off this computer there is nothing important left on it. However it would be worth your while to try the Segate hard drive tools (DOS) to check out the hard drive. Then you will know if the drive is worth keeping or if it has reached the point of no return. Hard drives do fail and they certainly wear out. since Win 7 was launched in 2009 your computer is probably at least seven years old and that is a reasonable age for a hard drive. You can get the Seagate ISO here -

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

There are two main tests on it, if I remember rightly, a short and a long. Run the short one first, if it comes up 'Fail', that's it - you need a new drive. If it passes the short test, run the long one and see what it says. It gives a more detailed report.

You have to decide if it is worth your time and effort to put another drive in if this one fails. Installing it won't be much of a problem but if, as it probably is, it is an IDE drive you may find it harder to source one now. But you will have all your software to re-install, plus all the necessary drivers, plus ALL the updates from the date of whatever install  disc you use !

As I said, it is your decision, but I know which way I would go and it wouldn't be to repair this computer.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 court0844

court0844
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:36 PM

Chris -

I have run SeaTools for DOS both the short & long scans and both say my hard drive passed.

Do you have any suggestions as to what my next step should be?  Thanks so much for your help with this.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:45 PM

So your hard drive is OK, I will admit a little surprise at that !

Do you have a Vista install disc ?  If you have one your next step would be to try a 'Repair' install. This will repair Windows. Assuming it works the same way the Win 7 install disc works, start the computer, open the DVD drive, put the disc in and re-boot. It should then boot from the disc. At the screen after the one where you enter language, location and keyboard you come to one which says 'Install or repair ?'. Choose 'Repair' !  It will then attempt to repair the Vista install. This will not, or at least should  not, affect any of your applications and you have already backed up your data.

If you don't have an install disc, I understand that you can use any Vista installer for repair purposes. If you can't beg or borrow one you could try e-bay, choose a seller with a good reputation. There is, or was, a Vista repair disc, I have a copy sitting on my desk along with others. I am fairly sure I got it from BC but I can't find a listing for it now. It may be that I followed a BC tutorial on how to make one

If you have a recovery partition on this computer you can use this, but this will restore your computer to an 'ex-works' condition and you will still have to re-install all your software and do all the updates.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 court0844

court0844
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:42 PM

I was very surprised the hard drive passed as well, I fully expected it to fail.

I used my installation disc, chose boot from CD drive, then chose "Repair your computer."  I chose Windows Vista from the System Recovery Options, this then takes me to the same list I've done before where I can choose between Startup Repair, System Restore, Windows Complete PC Restore, Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and Command Prompt.  The Startup Repair still says it can't fix the problem, I don't seem to have an earlier restore point for System Restore, and don't have a backup for PC restore.  I'm sure I've run the Memory Diagnostic Tool before and found no problems, but I didn't run it again this time.

I find it very strange that my computer keeps passing all of the tests I run on it but still can't start Windows.  What do you suggest next?  I want you to know how much I appreciate your help with all of this.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:00 PM

If you can access Safe Mode delete avast and see if the computer boots normally. 

If not then look at the dates of the backup Registry Hives in Windows/System32/config/Regback  If the dates are before your problem you can rename the Registry Hives in Windows/System32/config/ and copy the Hives from Regback. 

Edit: If you cannot delete Avast connect the drive to another computer using an enclosure or USB adapter. Run AutoRuns and use Offline mode as shown in this guide. Uncheck anything avast. Exit out of AutoRuns and reattach the drive to the problem computer.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/analyze-offline-system-autoruns-feature/

Edit Edit: If you have recovered all your data you can do a factory reset but all programs and data after purchase would need to be reinstalled. This would only work if your Recovery Partition is intact.

http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/DSN_28C0548D825EB65DE040A68F5B2865A8/EN

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 August 2016 - 02:14 PM.

#11 court0844

court0844
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:08 PM

When I try to boot into Safe Mode, it stalls on \windows\system32\drivers\aswRvrt.sys

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:01 PM

That file is the one that is previous to the one that causes the problem. You could user Puppy to rename the file but you will probably have another avast file after your reboot. You would need to keep renaming them but the safest way is to use AutoRuns with the drive attached to another computer.

Edit: Mark down what files you have renamed. Are you willing to do a Factory Reset or is that the last option?

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 August 2016 - 04:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users