Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop not working on battery power

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ddibowski

ddibowski

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:50 PM

I have an HP Compaq nc6400 running Windows 7.  The battery shows Fully Charged (100%).  When I try to use it without the AC power it runs for less than a minute and shuts down. 

I did find the Power Options and changed the Critical Battery Level and Low Battery Level.  They were 98 and 99 percent respectively.  I changed them to 10 and 20 percent respectively but that did not have any affect. 

In Devices, Battery -  I had two Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery entries.  Something I read told me there would be three entries under Batteries, one of them the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery.  I uninstalled both of them.  When I restarted the computer the two entries were back. 

I suspect the battery is shot and I don't have another to try.  I just want to know if there is anything else I can try before I buy another battery.  It just puzzles me that it shows 100% rather than a red x through the battery.

Thanks for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:17 PM

No way to borrow one from a local computer shop/store?  And, test right there in the place?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:44 PM

Yeah I don't have a working relationship with anyone near me.  I was just hoping someone might be able to explain why it shows as a "100%".

Seems like if it turns out to not be the battery then I am obligated to let them fix it. 

#4 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:42 PM

Any more ideas on this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users