Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates (Update to Windows 10)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:19 PM

I just checked for Windows Update as I have my settings at 'check for updates but let me decide whether to install or not'. The first thing to greet me is the infamous "Upgrade to Windows 10" start installing the newest version of Windows now. Get Started.

Did MS somehow incorporate this with the last round of updates on Nov. 11th ? Thought I had only agreed to allowing the security updates.

How do I go about getting rid of this notification as I do not want to download and install Windows 10 at this time.

edit: Hid this as I did to previous notifications.

Edited by sikntired, 13 November 2015 - 02:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:12 PM

sikntired, do you have KB3035583 KB3044374 or KB2976978 instaleld on the machine in question, if so uninstall them. Then(do those uninstallations of updates first) turn on "show hidden files and folders" search your whole C:\ drive for "gwx" (don't include the ""marks) by typing in the search bar at the top right hand croenr of the file explorer while loking at "this pc" in the file explorer, report what results appear. Also please (with hidden files an folders showing) look at your C:\ drive, can you see a folder named $WINDOWS.~BT on your C:\ drive (so at C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\ ) if it's there it'll be several GB in size, likely 3GB to 6GB. Report what you find.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for your response rp88.

Sometime ago I uninstalled KB3035583,KB3044374and KB2976978. I also removed all gwx from C:\ drive as well, along with the $Windows.~BT folder.

I accidentally reinstalled KB2952664 but have since uninstalled. This may have been the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.

#4 monteduglus225

monteduglus225

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:23 AM

When the windows operating system updates available in your system or mobile phone, it will be notified in your scree. or show massage in your home screen... please update your OS Window 10.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:58 PM

Regarding post#4

To any users who see that sort of icon advertising upgrades to windows10, if you don't want to do it, don't let anything force you.

Remove KB3035583 and those other updates I mention in post#2, then set your updates to "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download them", then only install updates which fix security vulnerabilities and any other updates for which you read the description and think "that update would fix a bug I've actually been suffering from". Also make sure to get rid of the $Windows.~BT folder which might have appeared on your C:\ drive and you might also need to delete any files found on your system called GWX.exe (however deletion of these requires fiddling with permissions first and, as you'll be editing what some regard as system files, it's essential to make sure you have a system image ready before you do this, incase it goes wrong). You can also take preventative actions before any kind of "upgrade to windows 1" prompts appear by followng these same steps.

To users who do want to upgrade, still probably better to take active action and do it when you want (you have until june/july 2016) rather than let yourself be pushed at whatever random and possibly inconvenient time a GWX related prompt may show itself.

Edited by rp88, 19 November 2015 - 02:00 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users