Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I installed Windows 10 version 1511 update and where is it??

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:45 AM

I installed Windows 10 version 1511 update and where is it??

When I went to the command prompt, it still says "Version 10.0.10240"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:49 AM

Hi Pat(rick) :)

This is probably because the command prompt is still on that version (cmd.exe, v10.0.10240). To see your current Windows 10 version number, press on the Win Key + R keys and enter winver then press on Enter. It'll be displayed in the window that will pop up.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-check-your-windows-10-build

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:54 AM

Version 10.0 (Build 10240)

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,357 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:55 AM

Also, see the ars technica article entitled, Windows 10 November Update:  features fixes and enterprise readiness.  It appears that there are some oddities about numbering based on the first paragraph.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:55 AM

Are you sure that you installed the Treshold 2 update (also known as the November Update)?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:59 AM

I was clicking on Check Update, it was downloading Windows 10 version 1511 build 105__ (i forgot exactly the build number but it was in the 105__). Then it was installing, but I fell asleep during the installation :S

I don't remember seeing Treshold 2

Edited by Pat(rick), 13 November 2015 - 12:00 PM.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:00 PM

Go back in your Windows Update panel and click on Check for updates. See if the update is "found" again.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#8 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:07 PM

I check it again and it found nothing :(

I checked the update history, I don't see the version 1511. Above, I see the links "Uninstall updates" and "Uninstall lastest preview build"

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,357 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:35 PM

Just for the record, I just installed the 1511 update on my old machine that's running Win10 Pro 32-bit.  The install did complete.  My command prompt still shows the same thing as Pat(rick)'s does.  That update is noted as a cumulative Windows 10 update.

What's more interesting, though, is that it has done something really weird with my keyboard.  Now the characters 'i','8', and several others simply will not work.  This was not the case before this update. Woe unto Microsoft if this starts breaking *keyboard* drivers at this stage of the game!!  Luckily that machine is purely "experimental" for me right now.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#10 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:21 PM

My upgrade downloaded and seemed to be installing, but, at the end, failed. I have no trace of it in my update history, and a check for updates says I'm up to date. Seems to be happening to quite a few people. You can always use the Media Creation Tool to update. That seems to be having more success.

#11 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:38 PM

Same thing... Yesterday on my testbed PC I had two updates waiting - one for Defender and the November upgrade. The defender update installed OK, it then (without any prompting) went and downloaded 3GB over my metered (but not set as metered) connection. It got to 100% (downloading all of the time) and... Failed (with no meaningful error - and I DO know where to look). checking afterwards, no obvious remnants of the 3GB downloaded were present, and it did not offer the update again.

What a waste!!!!!!!!!!!

I've upgraded the PC from an ISO file now (download the media creation tool from the MS website and create new media). That went OK but the process is similar to an OS upgrade.

I've given up on serious use Win 10 for the foreseeable future. My main PC is still (and is likely to remain Win 7) My Dev laptop was on Win 10 from release until earlier this week - It's now back on Win 8.1 pro (and much happier after it's ordeal). My testbed PC remains my only test Win 10 system. At this rate my next hardware upgrade will be to a mac (in a couple of years time). A difficult thing to say after 30 years supporting Microsoft solutions..

x64

Edited by x64, 13 November 2015 - 04:39 PM.

#12 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:48 AM

I finally manage to install version 1511.

I had to check for update many time to download it until it decides to install.

I think we have to re-settings some settings again... o.o

Edited by Pat(rick), 14 November 2015 - 11:52 AM.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,357 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:05 PM

Patrick,

Check the post on Windows 10 Discussion Sub-Forum entitled, "Microsoft starts rolling out its first major update to Windows 10", via ZDNet, starting on page 2.  I just posted a list of the settings I found that got reset and need to be redone.  There aren't very many and some of them are odd.   I have no idea why PDF files got reassociated with MS-Edge while all my photo type files, which I reassociated to Irfanview, stayed that way.

Also, it's curious to see what the command prompt screen looks like.  Notice the build number but also notice the copyright date.  MS has projected itself into the future, literally!!:

[attachment=172936:Cmd_Prompt_Scrn_Post_T2_Update.jpg]

Edited by britechguy, 14 November 2015 - 12:21 PM.

~ Brian Vogel

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:21 PM

The formal name for this is the Windows 10 Fall Update

More informally known as Threshold 2 (TH2)

On my system it's also known as build 10586

ntoskrnl.exe is build 10.0.10586.0

winver shows Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.0)

Supposedly the version means November (the 11th month) of 2015 (the 15)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users