Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

microsoft and win 10 still messing with my settings.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:37 AM

A few days ago I went to change my search engine I use to a different one in IE 11 and found I no longer have that option, other options yes but not that option.

So I decided to check all of my internet settings and most of them had been changed as well. 

Normally I do not allow 3rd party cookies, tracking cookies or even allow tracking at all, allow web pages to cache and all these things are normally set to be cleared when I close the browser.  All had been changed to what Microsoft wants.

There was so much saved in the cache that windows increased the cache size while I was looking to 1024MB from the 250 I normally set it at.

Now I can't blame this on the last windows update because it happened before the update, just.

To reset my settings changes required a reboot and while rebooting for that apparently the latest update did finish installing.  I say this for the extra ordinary amount of time it took to complete the reboot.

Even on here a reboot only takes a couple minutes to complete. This time it took almost 10 minutes.

With repeated messages not to turn off my computer.  These I useually only see for a updates reboot.

Ok rant over back to checking what all else may have been changed while I was not paying attention.

You know I would not mind all of microsofts telemetry and data collection if they paid me for it instead of everybody else.  After all it is my data and my browseing habits.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:14 PM

dannyboy950, quick check, what OS is the computer on which this is happening? Is the computer that has suffered these changes to IE's settings running windows 7/8/8.1/10 ?
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:42 PM

Win 10 the free version.  You know Microsoft must get bored to tears when looking at my telemetry. I am on here most of the day and a few automotive help sites.  I buy almost nothing on line and run few web searches.

So nobody is going to be able to build much of a trend off of my stuff LOL.

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:08 PM

Yes Microsoft and Win 10 are still at it but with a twist this time.  My settings have not been changed, Windows is ignoring my settings.  Now I have verified this by comparing my windows network traffic againt my Glasswire traffic.  I know not exactly GFI Languard or snort but it does it's job well enough to compare time frames and IP and server addresses and exactly what apps are accessing and how much data they download or send out.    What I wish it did was log. I have to compare and catch it in act.

Everying thing involveing telemetry of any kind is turned off includeing most of Cortana.  That said every so often telemetry data is sent out more that just a hand shake protocol some times several MB.

I think the numbers gleaned are pretty accurate. Because when MBAM and other security products update or run coinside with the programs own logs as to time/date duration and file size.

Of course I will be told by several that I am wrong but I have been hearing that for gang near 30 years in some of these security forums.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:20 PM

dannyboy950,

Unless I am mistaken, you are not using an Enterprise version of Windows 10.  That being the case, you simply cannot turn off everything involving telemetry, or anything close to it.  Turning off all optional telemetry does not turn off any of the basic "system health" telemetry, at a minimum.  I have very little doubt, at this stage in the Windows 10 "OS as a service" model, that this involves significant probing for just this sort of information.

Addendum:  Even though the source is a blog, and I keep that in mind, here's one of the more thorough explanations of Windows telemetry I've seen.  Note well that it discusses the fact that telemetry has been introduced into Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.  

Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 Telemetry Updates (Diagnostic Tracking)

Edited by britechguy, 20 November 2015 - 09:29 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:33 PM

I agree some stuff you can not seem to turn off completely. One set of rules for us users and another for Microsoft.

But everything I can turn off is still turned off. Microsoft goes on and on lol.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:42 PM

One set of rules for us users and another for Microsoft.

Please do not take the following as a personal attack, because it is not.  But you've repeated an oft-repeated comment and I'm responding to the content of the comment, not you for having made it.

Microsoft has not, ever, been anything but direct in noting that telemetry is a non-optional feature of Windows 10.  It's the only set of "rules for users" that's ever been published.

I get that some people hate this, but they have the option to remain with an earlier version of Windows or use another OS.  Microsoft gets to make its own business decisions and users get to make their own decisions about whether or not to use Microsoft products and, if so, which ones.

I've never been asked my opinion regarding how an OS architecture is implemented for any OS I've used since the first one I used on a DEC-10 mainframe over 35 years ago.  That's just the way it is and the way it will remain.

Edited by britechguy, 20 November 2015 - 10:03 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#8 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:50 PM

True no offense.taken.

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:44 AM

A few days ago I went to change my search engine I use to a different one in IE 11 and found I no longer have that option, other options yes but not that option.

So I decided to check all of my internet settings and most of them had been changed as well. 

Normally I do not allow 3rd party cookies, tracking cookies or even allow tracking at all, allow web pages to cache and all these things are normally set to be cleared when I close the browser.  All had been changed to what Microsoft wants.

There was so much saved in the cache that windows increased the cache size while I was looking to 1024MB from the 250 I normally set it at.

Now I can't blame this on the last windows update because it happened before the update, just.

To reset my settings changes required a reboot and while rebooting for that apparently the latest update did finish installing.  I say this for the extra ordinary amount of time it took to complete the reboot.

Even on here a reboot only takes a couple minutes to complete. This time it took almost 10 minutes.

With repeated messages not to turn off my computer.  These I useually only see for a updates reboot.

Ok rant over back to checking what all else may have been changed while I was not paying attention.

You know I would not mind all of microsofts telemetry and data collection if they paid me for it instead of everybody else.  After all it is my data and my browseing habits.

This is very odd and you might be the only person in the world experiencing this. Maybe your computer is broke.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:36 AM

I did not mean any disrespect with my previous post, but what I meant to convey is that I am a member of a couple of different Windows Ten forums and I spend a lot of my professional time and my free time reading about Windows Ten issues. Because you are the first and only person that I have heard complain about these issues, maybe it is your hardware or the way that you installed Windows 10. Did you do a clean install? That usually fixes any odd issues that a person is having. I hope that you figure this out because this is definately not happening to other people so it is not a Microsoft issue.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users