Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this a crashed hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JeepTJ

JeepTJ

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:10 AM

When I turn on PC (Dell inpiron 530S) after the Dell screen I get my password screen, when I put in password I get a black screen that says at the top: "disc read error occurred. Press Cent. Alt. Delete to restart, if I do this...it takes me right back to the password screen.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:13 AM

Can you boot into safe mode? It could well be a failing hdd.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 JeepTJ

JeepTJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:25 AM

Captain_Chicken, thank you for your response. I'm afraid I'm pretty computer illiterate, I don't know what you mean by boot into safe mode. What does that mean and how do I do that?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:27 AM

Please download and run SeatTool for Windows.

When the website opens scroll down till you find the I Accept button and click on it.

If you scroll down below this button you will find instruction for installing this.

Once you install this program you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for hdds on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB port.

2.  Detected Drives will list the hdd/s found.  Place a check mark in the drive you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for different scans, please click on Long Generic Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

6.  When the scan is complete you will see Test results, post the status.  If it is green it has passed the scan.

7.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:35 AM

Hold the phone...

If you can't boot into Windows you will not be able to run the Seatools scan.

Safe Mode in one of the options in the Advanced Boot Options.  You enter this by starting the computer and immediately start tapping the F8 key, continue to do this till you see a screen similar to the image below, or you get the message for the disk read error.

windows-vista_safe-mode2.png

If the Advanced Boot Options opens use the up or down key to move the cursor till it is over Safe Mode with Networking.  Press Enter to select this options.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 JeepTJ

JeepTJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:40 AM

When I tap the F8 key it says "discette drive 0 seek failure....press F1 to continue  F2 to enter set up"

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:51 AM

If you can open the case and see who the manufacturer of the hdd is and post it I can provide you with a link to a website where you can download a diagnostic test for that hdd.  I suspect that your hdd is failing or failed.

#8 JeepTJ

JeepTJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:02 PM

It's Western Digital, but I can't get to any link with that computer. I can't get on line, I have no windows, all I have is the black screen with the message I mentioned above. I can get to my boot screen with F12 but nothing there does anything either. I don't have an option on that screen for the Advance boot options you showed me. I appreciate you trying to help me.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:20 PM

You can download the ISO file to another computer and burn the image to create a bootable disc which you will run the diagnostic on the computer with the problem.

You will need to change the boot order on the computer with the problem so that the optical drive is the first device, and the hdd is the second device.

You will need to place the disc in the optical drive's tray and restart the computer.  You will receive a message telling you to press any key to boot from the CD.

Please download Data Lifeguard for DOS (this is Western Digital's diagnostic tool for their hdds).

This is a zip file, to extract the file you will need a program like 7-zip to extract the ISO image.

This will download a ISO image which you will burn to a CD to create a bootable disc.

To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

In order to boot from this disc you may need to enter the BIOS to change the boot order so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device and the hdd the second device.

Insert the disc in the optical drive and restart the computer and follow the prompts.  Run the short test.

Please post the results.

Edited by dc3, 13 November 2015 - 12:20 PM.

#10 JeepTJ

JeepTJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

dc3....I will work on that, though I think it's way above what I'm capable of. Quick new question for you if you would. There's a glowing yellow thing (light? resister?) on the mother board. It comes on as soon as I plug it in even when the PC isn't on. What is that and is it suppose to be glowing when it's not on?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:47 PM

Where is this LED located on the motherboard?

The only onboard LEDs the manual lists are the four I posted.

#12 JeepTJ

JeepTJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:11 PM

It's in the upper right corner and stays on for 10 or 15 seconds after I unplug the PC. I took a couple pics but this site won't let me post them. If you want to see them I can e-mail them to you, if it would help

#13 JeepTJ

JeepTJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:18 PM

Attached File  DSCN2135.JPG   262.85KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCN2137.JPG   156.2KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCN2139.JPG   192.11KB   0 downloads

We'll see if these pics work...

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:07 PM

That is the RAM LED.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:20 PM

That was incorrect.  That LED is the PSU status LED.

You can download the user manual here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users