Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 install on another pc..?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:00 AM

please understand I am not really schooled with this ...

I want to install an image of PC-1 to PC-2....I understand ISO as being an image of a system...?  This link "http://www.windows10update.com/2015/11/download-windows-10-november-update-iso-files/" as I understand it can be downloaded to a flash drive and restart PC - 2 with it plugged in and it will format it with image taken from PC-2...Right or wrong..? If this is ALL incorrect please advise easiest and most understandable way with all steps to do this. I am self taught and have a ways to go with pc technology...I have read a lot of info on this but am too unsure of doing anything....Thanks for any and all advice....Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:53 AM

An ISO is a disk image file that can be booted from.

Basically with the files available you will be able to create a brand new installation of Win 10, not transfer any existing data.

Here is the download page, you will notice plenty of documentation that will guide you through the process and give you all the information you require are included in the download.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:53 AM

You can only install Windows on one computer unless you have a multiple use license.

If you install this on another computer you will not be able to get it activated.  This means that after thirty days you will lose most of the functionality of the operating system.

Edited by dc3, 13 November 2015 - 09:55 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:55 AM

You can only install Windows on one computer unless you have a multiple use license.

or upgradeable Windows versions on the target machines.

#5 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:03 AM

Thanks to all,,,I guess that settles that...I do not really understand "or upgradeable Windows versions on the target machines.". I guess since I was seeing the 10 upgrade option, I would go ahead and get it. I sure do like windows 10. Only a couple issues but easily worked out....Thanks to all,,,Much appreciated...Jim

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:19 AM

What was being referred to as "upgradeable Windows versions" is Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 which are the operating system which can use the Windows 10 upgrade.  

When you use the option to upgrade from Window 7 with SP1 or Windows 8.1 a product key is installed to activate the operating system.  Because of this I don't believe you will be able to clone the copy already installed and install it on another computer.  If this computer is one of the versions posted here, just upgrade that computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:22 AM

What was being referred to as "upgradeable Windows versions" is Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 which are the operating system which can use the Windows 10 upgrade.  

When you use the option to upgrade from Window 7 with SP1 or Windows 8.1 a product key is installed to activate the operating system.  Because of this I don't believe you will be able to clone the copy already installed and install it on another computer.  If this computer is one of the versions posted here, just upgrade that computer.

Oh,,,Now I got it. makes perfect sense now that it is explained.  That will surely work for me. I guess I wanted the easy way out..:)   Thanks everyone for all the advice....Have a great and blessed weekend....Jim

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:24 AM

Same to you Jim. :thumbup2:

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:27 AM

Wogg,

There is no "easy way out."  If you have Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 computers that qualify for the upgrade you must do the "Upgrade this PC Now" option, or the same thing via the notifications that Win10 is available for download, on each machine.

You can also use the Media Creation Tool and use the "Upgrade this PC Now" option.

You cannot, however, use a drive cloning program to carry the same system image from machine to machine, as there are all kinds of licensing issues with that method.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:31 AM

Wogg,

There is no "easy way out."  If you have Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 computers that qualify for the upgrade you must do the "Upgrade this PC Now" option, or the same thing via the notifications that Win10 is available for download, on each machine.

You can also use the Media Creation Tool and use the "Upgrade this PC Now" option.

You cannot, however, use a drive cloning program to carry the same system image from machine to machine, as there are all kinds of licensing issues with that method.

Thanks again...Really appreciated...jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users