Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help removing a LARGE gibberish-filled txt file

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pinkn0rangegal

pinkn0rangegal

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:59 AM

Any clue as to what this file/folder is all about?  And, more importantly, how to delete it?  (Assuming it's not necessary.) 

I tried to upload a .txt file here, but it is 62.22mb; I tried zipping it for upload, but the .zip file only went down to about 42mb 

I managed to take a screenshot of a small portion of the .txt doc contents---see the .txt file image.  (I got that .txt file by using this DOS command: dir>0bad.txt)

BTW, you can see a better view of the of the obad1.jpg here on my website:

https://sites.google.com/site/stufff2share/rbfrbf

Even though the actual .txt file was too big to upload here, you can access it via my Dropbox account--remember, it is a 62.22mb .txt file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmzxlmoajjslp5t/0bad.txt?dl=0

I've tried & tried to delete the folder...

~ via DOS commands

~ by right clicking it and selcting: delete. 

~ by creating a .bat file

I've also tried to put the folder in my Comodo\s file list, so that I can mark it as: malicious.

I tried using: Fast Copy software --- because I read online that it might be good for deleting large files.  (This 0bad file has about 1 million files in it--so says its Properties dialog box.)

I tried to change its contents from a partially read only, by unchecking: read only.  It took about 12 hrs for this process, but at the end of it, the: read only box is still "partially checked" -- meaning, it's not unchecked or checked, but the check box as a dimmed/grayed check mark inside the box.

Nothing whatsoever is working to delete this crazy file!

The file/folder was originally named:

a2bKVP!Hoy4{0Gs0JEHVB44b=4c4v0!b

(I did not name it; I did not put it in my PC; it came from cyberspace!)

I renamed it: 0bad

because I was tired of typing in all that gibberish.

Any HELP?!  (Maybe my image attachments and/or the 0bad.txt document--via DropBox--will help you to help me.  This folder must be the cause of my very sluggish PC.  Oh, the obad1b.jpg is just to show the file in my C: drive.)

Attached Files

Edited by pinkn0rangegal, 13 November 2015 - 03:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:28 AM

Download and burn UBCD to a CD and then boot from it.

Run PartedMagic from the boot menu.

Use the file manager in the menu to find the file and delete it :thumbup2:

#3 pinkn0rangegal

pinkn0rangegal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:47 AM

I will give that a try.  Thank you for the prompt reply! :hello:

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:52 AM

No worries. :)

Let us know how you go.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:07 AM

I wonder about the origin of this file though... perhaps we could run some scans to try and eliminate some possibilities when you come back?

#6 pinkn0rangegal

pinkn0rangegal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 02:47 AM

Well, no joy!  The UBCD cd would not boot  :ranting: -- I tried several CDs and even tried the CDs on a diff PC, just to see if it would at least boot up on another PC.

I'm this close to wiping my hard drive and starting over!  I don't want to, but I've done nothing but try to get rid of this file for days now. 

What scans are you talking about?

#7 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 07:07 AM

Something to consider just in case that is a file you really don't want to remove.  Keying in on the Hoy4 portion of the original file name a2bKVP!Hoy4{0Gs0JEHVB44b=4c4v0!b, I did a Google search.  You may want to scan the search results?

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:44 AM

Well, no joy!  The UBCD cd would not boot  :ranting: -- I tried several CDs and even tried the CDs on a diff PC, just to see if it would at least boot up on another PC.

I'm this close to wiping my hard drive and starting over!  I don't want to, but I've done nothing but try to get rid of this file for days now. 

What scans are you talking about?

That's unusual, I've been using that boot CD for years... If you are sure you are booting correctly from the disks I would say with some certainty that your download file is corrupted and the burned media was destined for failure.

Something else you can do is add this utility and then take ownership of the file before trying to delete it.

Something to consider just in case that is a file you really don't want to remove.  Keying in on the Hoy4 portion of the original file name a2bKVP!Hoy4{0Gs0JEHVB44b=4c4v0!b, I did a Google search.  You may want to scan the search results?

I think (metaphorically speaking) you're looking for patterns in clouds.

#9 pinkn0rangegal

pinkn0rangegal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:04 AM

@ TulsaRose, I looked at the search results but there's nothing there that has any meaning for me.  I appreciate your reply though!

@ TsVk!, I managed to delete the file with this simple DOS command: c:\0bad>del *

which, after 8 hours, deleted the contents of the 0bad bad folder--joy!  After that, deleting the folder itself was easy.  A virus scan and 4 days later, all seems good now. :bananas:

Thanks for you time and attention!! :)

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,678 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:41 AM

Depending on the computer, pressing a key at boot will give you a boot menu with the option to boot a device such as a CD or USB flash drive. For Dell it is F12. I am also assuming you have your Optical Device listed as first boot device in BIOS.

Just to be clear, did the UBCD CD you created boot okay on the other PC?

What did you use to burn the iso file? I use Imgburn for an iso and burn it no faster than 4x if possible. You can also burn the image on a Windows 7 or later PC by right clicking the iso and selecting Burn Image.

I am also assuming you have your Optical Device listed as first boot device in BIOS.

You can also try booting a USB flash drive using the UBCD iso and Rufus.  The iso of Parted Magic by itself is here.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 November 2015 - 08:41 AM.

#11 pinkn0rangegal

pinkn0rangegal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:13 PM

@JohnC_21 - 

"Just to be clear, did the UBCD CD you created boot okay on the other PC?"  No, it did not boot the "test" PC.

"I am also assuming you have your Optical Device listed as first boot device in BIOS."  The hard drive is listed last.

"...F12..."  Using the boot device menu made no difference--the UBCD CD did not boot up.

"What did you use to burn the iso file?"  Tried Imgburn, Nero, NTI.

"...burn the image on a Windows 7..."   Been there, done that.

In any case, my PC is still, so far, okay.  Deleting the file contents via the DOS command seems to have done the trick.  And now that the file itself is also gone, I'm hoping that whatever that file was, that there's no remnants of it anywhere else.  Did 2 virus scans (Comodo) and a malware scan (MalwareBytes AM), and they didn't find anything.  So, at this point, all seems good and my PC is not abnormally sluggish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users