Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Errors, errors, errors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:44 AM

I haven't fired up my Windows 10 machine in about a month. I read about the 'major update' today and turned it on.

"We can't install the updates", in typical MS obscurity.

"Do you want to allow  WindowsUpdateElevatedInstaller to make changes to your pc?" - with a certificate that expired last month. With no explanation whatsoever as to what's going on.

Try to bring up Edge. "Exporer.EXE Element not found"

Yeah, Windows 10 is the greatest os ever...NOT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:48 AM

That is why I am using windows 7 and will be using windows 7 forever.

Even when the security updates have expired.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:21 AM

Not that I'm defending Microsoft, but anyone who's been an early adopter of any of their Windows OSes in the past has gone through this to one extent or another.

There is a major update being pushed out now and if Win10 offers to install it with an installer with elevated privileges I'd do it.  If you don't want to do that then create media with the Media Creation Tool in a couple of weeks (after the latest and greatest is likely going to be a part of that iso) and install then.

There's a reason for the term "bleeding edge," and every MS OS release has had some of that.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 nickles

nickles

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 07:25 AM

@britetechguy

Sorry mate, I completely disagree. This OS is completely different. Felt good with Windows 7 right away, but since 8.0 everything is getting worse by the version. These annoyances aren't just "New OS hickups" this is an unparalleled attempt (let's set aside Apple or Android for a moment) to take over MY computer and force me to do what MICROSOFT wants. Where are we, in the USSR?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:32 AM

Everyone has an opinion.

And mine is different from yours.

Who am I to tell you that your opinion is right or wrong?

All I can tell you is what my opinion is - and if mine is different from yours disagreeing with you likely won't change a thing.

But I can say - if you don't like it, then don't use it.

No one is forcing you to use it - and you can easily erase it from your computer.

And there's no telling where the posters here are from - some may be posting from Russia.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,007 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:37 AM

Thanks usasma.

I personally find it amusing when anyone complains that they are being forced to do what an OS provider wants them to do - because this is true pretty much by definition.  You have the ability to tweak your environment only in the ways that an OS maker gives you, period - for any OS - unless it's open source and you do your own coding customizations, which really doesn't count.

OS makers always have and always will "control your hardware" and determine the telemetry that they want (and have been doing so for decades now - as has been pointed out definitively and repeatedly).   You have a choice as to whether what any given OS does, or does not do, is something you can live with.  If you can't live with it, use something else.  If you can't stand any of them then stop using computers.

This doesn't mean you can't protest specific things that are being done in hopes of effecting change.  Just realize that this is ultimately at the discretion of the creator of the OS in question.  Sometimes customer complaints result in change, sometimes they don't.

Edited by britechguy, 14 November 2015 - 11:39 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:50 PM

Starting with Windows 98 (where I started) and going forward, every operating system that Microsoft has released has had problems that needed to be addressed.  It's my belief after all this time that Microsoft releases these "new" operating systems and lets the public find the existing bugs.  In my opinion, Windows 7 was the best operating system Microsoft produced.  But it had bugs when it was first released as well, these were eventually addressed in a Service Pack.

I have Windows 8.1 installed on my main computer, the only reason I purchased it and installed it was to learn how to troubleshoot and repair the operating system.  There have been times when I've deeply regretted making this choice.  I just repaired a laptop with Window 7 installed on it with the intentions of giving it to my fourteen year old nephew.  I'm now having second thoughts about letting it go.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users