Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 tablet no longer completely boots

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:33 PM

Win 10 tablet no longer completely boots

It gets as far as the login screen, and after I enter my password the circle of little dots just spin, and spin and spin...

I bought this tablet a week ago, it is an Acer One 10 s1002-145A. Earlier today I checked for updates, and tried to download the update to the new build. It never got past 0% downloading.

There were a lot of other strange problems that just started happening today also, when I would try to access links from the Control Panel, the screen would just become inactive - I was unable to interact with or close that window. This happened when I attempted to System Restore also. Attempting to open a CMD prompt as an Administrator would yield no results, except eventually an error message would appear telling me that the CMD window "failed to execute in a timely manner" (or something close to that). 

I even attempted to refresh my tablet, but that wasn't working either. 

Any suggestions?

(above is copy/pasted from nearly identical post at tenforums)

Edited by yu gnomi, 12 November 2015 - 11:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:30 AM

Hi there,

First thing is that since the tablet is brand new, I'd suggest returning it to your place of purchase for an exchange or a cash refund.  It's covered under manufacturer's warranty, so even if you bought at a big box store (Best Buy, Cosco, Walmart), you will have to send it back to the manfacturer for repair.  Only if they cannot repair it will then send you another unit--and be prepared for this to NOT be a brand new device, but rather a working refurbished unit. 

Even if you dropped the tablet, which is very often the cause of the table to mysteriously "stop working", as long as it doesn't have a cracked screen, huge scratches or gouges, or teethmarks on the outside case of the tablet, you'll probably get a free repair or refurb replacement.  However, if you did drop it (or a friend or family member or coworker etc. dropped it unbeknownst to you), when the RMA tech inspects the tablet and opens it up, if the damage is considered to be "abuse", then by the terms of the Factory Warranty they can deny your claim to free repair.  If this happens, they will contact you by phone or E-mail and let you know your repair Claim is denied, and that they can still fix it, but it's going to cost you $400 to do so. :(   If this tablet only cost you say $200, that's probably never going to happen--you'd just chuck that old one in the trash and go out and buy a brand new one!!

From a repair tech standpoint, tablets are not money-makers.  All of the ones I've attempted to repair that needed to be opened up to be inspected or their hard drives replaced for example, do not go back together; they are made very cheaply, and I mean that to be in the very worst sense of the word.  That means that even if I gave you all the tests to do for hardware and you found a failure, you couldn't get it open and back together to complete the repair--unless you are the factory.  I believe that you then are restricted to software troubleshooting and repairs; some of which you already tried.  There are many more; but if the damage you experienced was due to a drop, no software can repair failed hardware!! 

I'd go the Warranty route, and if you get nowhere, post back and we can help you with some software diagnostics.  I wouldn't recommend messing with the hardware as that requires dissassembly--which is the Kiss Of Death on these devices.  They are made to be disposeable, not repairable.   (however, there are places that specialize in Tablet repair, and they have the right tools and training to fix these; nobody in my locale does this).

Best of luck,

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Edited by BIGBEARJEDI, 13 November 2015 - 12:35 AM.

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:16 AM

I chatted with a rep from Acer and got the following:

1. Shutdown computer

2. As soon as computer powers on, press and hold the left Alt and then tapp F10 keys.

3. Select Keyboard Layout (United States English).

4. Please select Troubleshoot in Advance Options to choose Reset/ Refresh.

5. The reset can take anywhere from an hour to 4 hours.

6. Once the reset is complete computer will load Windows and start installing your drivers and software. Computer may reboot several times during this process. After everything is complete your computer will be like it was when first purchased it.

Acer rep did not know anything about the Recovery Key I needed to get from my MS account, but the directions on the Reset screen were pretty clear.

Tablet is resetting now.

Edited by yu gnomi, 13 November 2015 - 01:16 AM.

#4 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:27 AM

works now.

I am guessing that Winupdate caused my issue. I did not drop or spill anything on the device.

Edited by yu gnomi, 13 November 2015 - 03:30 AM.

#5 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:36 AM

That's Great news! :lol:   Calling the factory is certainly a good idea too.  If the factory Techs can't fix it for you over the phone as they did with you, then they can issue you an RMA to return to factory for repair/replacment as I had indicated.

Thanks for posting back what Acer did to fix it--that may save one of our other users a phone call... :wink:

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,025 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:39 AM

I want to second BBJ's thanks.

It is incredibly helpful to know that an issue has been solved and, more importantly, how it was solved.  Sharing this information adds to the knowledge base and allows people who later search regarding this issue to have something they might try to resolve it themselves.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:40 AM

In that spirit, I added a 64GB SD card, a screen protector and fake leather case to this tablet. When I was done with that, it wouldn't power on. I chatted with Acer again, and was given the following procedure:

1.Please power off the computer and disconnect the power adapter.
2.Please press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
3.Now, please connect the computer to wall outlet and power on the computer.

#8 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:44 AM

It started working again immediately after finishing the above procedure.

When asked, the Acer rep mentioned that a build-up of static charge can lead to the trouble I had. I am guessing that applying the screen protector caused it. Not planning on experimenting to find out for certain, just going to hope it doesn't keep happening.

As an aside, I am not used to having an OEM to turn to for support. Literally every PC I have bought, except for my current desktop, has been a shop-built PC. My first experience with buying one was good, and I stuck with that until I decided to build one myself - which is my current desktop.

Since I am averaging a calamity per week with my tablet, I guess it is good that I can chat with OEM reps to fix things.

Edited by yu gnomi, 19 November 2015 - 02:51 AM.

#9 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:29 AM

one more note, this procedure:

1. power off the computer and disconnect the power adapter.

2. press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
3. connect the computer to wall outlet and power on the computer.

worked for another issue.

A kitten, belonging to me, decided to walk across the keyboard while I was using my tablet. It might have stood in one spot for a span of several seconds. After I shooed it away, Windows no longer recognized keyboard input. Before contacting Acer yet again about an issue, I decided to just try the above procedure first.

It succeeded. Everything is now working like it should (kittens are still disobedient and trouble-making).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users