Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Linux

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kurokun

kurokun

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:46 PM

So apparently my computer was terribly infected by some evil virus or malware that, when I restarted my device, decided to remove my Windows 7 OS. When I try to boot my machine, all I receive is the Dell logo, and then a black screen that says:

Checking media...[Fail]
Press any key to reboot

I have resigned myself to the fact that everything is gone. But I don't know how to go about reloading a new OS to my system. I was thinking Linux Mint or Ubuntu because they are free and have good reviews. How do I download a copy of the OS to a USB drive or external hard drive, then load it onto my sad, dead, laptop?

Assistance would be much appreciated.

Regards, kurokun.

Mod Edit:  Edited title to reflect topic focus - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 13 November 2015 - 07:14 AM.
Moved from MRL to Linux - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:10 AM

You have a secondary computer yes? As you are able to connect in this message so I guess you do.

For me the easiest thing to do is on your other computer download a tool called Linux Live USB Creator (LiLi) http://www.pendrivelinux.com/linux-live-usb-creator/

Its a tool for windows that can create a live USB image so you can load it onto your dell

This tool has many functions including the ability to download a live image from the internet and make it work with your USB thumbdrive.

I recommend it due to its pure simplicity

Do you have a external drive of some kind? As your files may be recoverable, linux can and read windows hard drive files so no need to worry about loosing your data right now, if you have a external drive you could back things up you want and then have Linux overwrite things.

Heck you can do a temporary dual boot as even though windows might be dead you can still get into its drive.

Edited by MadmanRB, 13 November 2015 - 10:12 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:22 PM

Don't rush into anything yet, as I have seen that before on newish computers,,..and it has nothing to do with Viri or malware..

very often it can be corrected by going into the bios   ..f2 when starting and changing from EFI  to GSM boot... though  not having a widows PC in this country i can't run through it in detail...so maybe if you ask a question in the Windows forums on this site you will probably get the answer quite quick...

But if you want to ditch windows and move to Linux  please ignore all of the above

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:30 PM

I have resigned myself to the fact that everything is gone.

Don't rush into anything yet, as I have seen that before on newish computers,,..and it has nothing to do with Viri or malware..

very often it can be corrected by going into the bios   ..f2 when starting and changing from EFI  to GSM boot... though  not having a widows PC in this country i can't run through it in detail...so maybe if you ask a question in the Windows forums on this site you will probably get the answer quite quick...

I agree, Even if you decide on Linux as your primary OS, Before installing it, Are there any Photos Music Documents on the Windows install that you want? There may be a chance to recover them.

Edited by NickAu, 13 November 2015 - 07:31 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users