Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean install question.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:48 PM

Hi guys,

So I decided to do a clean install of Windows 10 thinking my upgrade from 8.1 just didn’t go too well.  I thought the upgrade seemed to work well enough, but after seeing a computer with a clean install of 10 today, I realize something must be wrong with my upgrade.  My friend has exactly the same computer as mine, and all of the Windows 10 features work perfectly.

Anyway, I burned an ISO to a DVD using the media creation tool, and it went well.  However, when I started the upgrade, I received the message “the partitions are not in the recommended order”.

So, do I need to format my drive prior to the install, or just let Windows do its thing?  I took a screen shot of my drive as it is now.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:59 PM

Hi again MM,

So, you read my Post on Edge then?  This post should help you.  It's possible that your HP (same computer as in your Edge post??), was using MBR formatting for your Seagate 1tb drive, and now W10 has converted it to GPT (a Win10 more modern formatting rubric that's used with larger drives up to 6TB).   

There's a couple of posts I read the last few days that deal with this--it's complicated; I'll have to research them and get back to you. 

The first thing to do is to test that Seagate drive with SEATOOLS diagnostic as outlined in my other post on Edge.  Run BOTH short an long tests on that drive; if SEATOOLS returns any errors, that drive is faulty and must be replaced.  It will not be suitable for use with W10 & GPT.  Purchasing a new hard drive may be the ony way to resolve this W10 problem as well as your other problems such as Edge.  A faulty hard drive could easily explain both of these problems. 

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers!  <<<BBJ>>> :busy: 

Edited by BIGBEARJEDI, 12 November 2015 - 10:00 PM.

#3 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:55 AM

Hi BIGBEARJEDI,

Thanks for both posts. :)

A few details first.  The computer is only about four months old now.  When I purchased it, I had my choice of Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. Because Windows 10 was so new at that time, I intentionally chose 8.1.  My thinking was to wait until the bugs were worked out of 10 until trying it.  The computer worked perfectly well without any issues whatsoever. 

I upgraded to 10 recently just to give it a try and to learn more about it.  Other than the issues I mentioned in my other post, I thought the upgrade went well.  The issues in the system I am experiencing now I thought were likely due to bugs still present in 10.  However, what happened yesterday changed my thinking.

The friend I mentioned in my other post was at my home a few days after I purchased the computer.  He liked it so much; he went with me and purchased exactly the same computer except he chose Windows 10 (he always wants the newest OS).  When speaking with him on the telephone about my issues, he explained he had none of the issues.  So, I drove the 50 miles to his home and tried out his computer.  Sure enough, not a single problem.  Edge works perfectly, he can download files, his search menu works correctly, and Edge even displays top sites.  Furthermore, after yesterdays Windows updates, he can choose color title bars and they work.  My update installed but no color title bars.

That sums it up.  I have tried all of the suggestions in my other post, but still no joy.  I can only assume at this point that my upgrade was not a total success.  So, now I either re-image my system back to 8.1, or I try a clean install of 10.  My choice is a clean install of 10, so that is where we are now.  I only need to determine what to do about the partitions.

Thanks for your time and effort.

PS.  The drive is 2TB.  I don’t think that makes a difference.  :thumbup2:

#4 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:07 AM

Quick update:

I just completed the Seagate diagnostics. Short and long tests both passed.  :thumbup2:

#5 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:27 AM

Good job, MM!! :thumbup2:  Now you can run the other test, MEMTEST, per instructions in my other post.  Run that test for a minimum of 8 passes as it says.  This can take awhile in machines with more memory.  Allow 12-24 hrs. for this to complete in machines with 6GB or RAM.  If MEMTEST returns any errors (just like SEATOOLS), you have a faulty RAM memory stick and it must be replaced.  Remember to run the test on each stick individually if you have more than 1 stick; then if the test passes on each stick individually, reinsert all sticks and run MEMTEST one final time with all sticks inserted.  If MEMTEST returns no errors, you are free to proceed with software troubleshooting and/or W10 Clean Install.

On the 2TB drive, yes, that drive size makes a difference, as the 2TB drives began using the GPT formatting for large drives in Win8.1 and continues to be the default in W10.  I'm still looking for that article that explains this, but basically, W10/MBR will only give 2-4 partitions; where W10/GPT will give 6-8 partitions and can have unlimited partitions.  So, if a W10/GPT Clean Install does not work on the drive that came with your computer (Make/Model did you give to us?;  since the Edge post was the HP for your friend's PC right?), it's very likely that your new PC has a problem with it's Motherboard and may need to be replaced. 

Here's the situation, since your new PC is less than 1 year old, you should consider returning it to the place you purchased it if it fails the W10/GBT Clean Install; clearly the W10/GBT on your friend's identical model is working ok.  Whether or not you purchased it online or from a bigbox store such as Best Buy, Staples, Frys, Costco, or Walmart, you have the same issue here.  When you return it, even if you bought an Extended Warranty on the computer (did you?) for 2-5 years, due to agreement with the Manufacturer, you'll most likely need to return the PC to the manufacturer for repair and pay to ship it their on your dime.  This could be $50-$60 US.  After they repair or replace the computer, they will ship it free back to you.  The deal here is there's a 50/50 chance the hard drive could still be bad, even though it passed SEATOOLS, but if you open the case to replace it (which is what I would do) to further narrow down the problem, you could violate the 1 yr. factory warranty.  And, of course if you do this and perform the W10/GBT Clean Install again--and it fails again, now you have isolated the problem down to a faulty Motherboard.  This part typically costs from $175-$400, plus labor to put it in--unless you use the Warranty.  But, if you do this test, it will probably violate the Warranty, and the manufacturer will not do the repair until they call you tell you this and could charge you $100-$300 or more to repair the PC with the violated warranty!  That's a repair of as much as $475-$700 which might be avoided if you simply send it in for warranty repair after this next W10/GBT Clean Install test!!

I mean to tell you that you should only do non-destructive testing at this point not to violate that all important 1 yr. factory warranty. :exclame:

<<<BBJ>>>   B) 

Edited by BIGBEARJEDI, 13 November 2015 - 11:32 AM.

#6 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:31 PM

Hey BB,

Thanks for the information, but I think perhaps I did not explain the situation properly.

When I began the clean install of Windows 10, I immediately received the message I spoke about.  However, I did not attempt to continue because I was not 100% certain what to do.  I apparently could have continued the installation (as Windows indicated I could), but I intentionally aborted.  I want to do the install as clean and properly as possible.  Thus, the installation did not fail . . . I simply chose not to let it continue.  It very well may have worked perfectly.  

I will run Memtest for safety sake, but I seriously doubt I have a hardware issue.

Thanks again for your time.

PS

This link refers to my situation: :thumbup2:

Edited by MalwareMutilator, 13 November 2015 - 02:11 PM.

#7 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:15 PM

Hi MM,

I see.  Perhaps I missed that you aborted the install. This makes sense,  I actually had to look up the GPT/MBR stuff myself to more fully understand it when I first found out about the large drive limitation; this goes back to the Win98 days when we were upgrading from W95 with a really big drive (2GB or larger).

Glad to help.  One thing, I'll point at, there is a real lack of information on doing W10/GPT drive-based installs, and so I don't know for sure that the DISKPART commands will respond in the same manner on a GPT formatted drive as they do on an MBR formatted drive.  Other threads I've been reading on the forums have me leaning towards "YES", but that's certainly no guarantee your W10 install will go seamlessly on that drive.  If it doesn't; you'll be left with having to do a low-level format of that drive if you ever wish to use it again  (one of the dangers of using Admin level command prompt tools) using Linux utilties such as DBAN. 

Looking at your profile, I see you also have several hundred posts on this forum, which means you probably have a good understanding of this stuff, if not an expert level understanding.  I believe you are working in "uncharted" territory.  :cowboy:  Only a few of us forum folks have large hdd's 2TB or larger and have used the W10/GPT installs; like I said some of them have gotten horribly stuck, and are still working after months to straighten things out. :luke:   In a couple of cases, the users had to COMPLETELY REPLACE their hdd's in order to get W10/GPT Clean Install to work.  I'm mentioning this, as since you are in the Win10 forum, you realize that some of this stuff is still going to be quirky until more of us Techs experiment with all the various installation options and resulting issues.

Hope that proves helpful.  And thanks for that link, that's good information to have.

Best,

<<<BBJ>>>   :thumbup2: 

Edited by BIGBEARJEDI, 13 November 2015 - 03:19 PM.

#8 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:30 PM

Hey BBJ,

I've been considering installing a SSD on that HP computer for a while now, so I think what I will do is order a new (small) SSD (256 GB) and run the Windows 10 clean install on that.  If it works the way I hope it will, I will low-level format the 2TB drive and use if for files and storage.

I just hope my Windows registration key follows along with me.  Everything I've read says it should, but nothing surprises me these days.  It will take me a while to do it, but I will certainly follow-up and let you know the results.

Thanks again for your time and suggestions. :thumbup2:

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:17 AM

If you've installed W10 while connected to the internet, check to ensure that it's activated.
If it is, it'll follow your hardware around anytime you install it.

You'll have to skip the product key the first time it asks for it, and tell it "later" the second time it asks for it.

I have heard that the newer versions (TH2 or v1511 or build 10586) can use your old product key.
But do you have the W8 and W8.1 product keys?

As an experiment, can you make an image of your friends computer and apply it to yours to see how that works?

FWIW - applying an image like that will also wipe out the old partitions - so that may solve your partition order problem.

Finally, during a clean install there's an option to change the partitions.  At work we delete all the partitions and allow W10 to decide which one's that it wants to install.

Edited by usasma, 14 November 2015 - 11:18 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:08 PM

Hey usasma,

Thanks for your help and suggestions.  However, to my surprise (and delight), this morning the full update from Microsoft arrived for the HP.  I thought it had arrived Thursday because several updates were installed on that day, but apparently the major update did not.  Amazingly, each and every problem I had has vanished!  At this point I can only assume the original update to 10 failed in some manner.  I still have to try it out for a few days, but as of now, I'm a happy camper!

Thanks again for your help. :thumbup2: 

#11 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:48 AM

Hi MM and forum users;

OP here has given me permission to repost his final result which he E-mailed to me.  Hope it proves useful:

Hey BBJ,

I thought you might find this interesting. This morning the full update from Microsoft arrived for the HP. I thought it had arrived Thursday because several updates were installed on that day, but apparently the major update did not. It took about 30 minutes for the total process to complete, and now, for the first time since 8.1 was installed, that computer is running fantastically. Each and every problem I had has vanished! Edge works properly, I can download files, I have color title bars if I choose, and the search box works perfectly. I can even choose and view top sites if desired. Plus, there are a lot of new features to check out.

I guess I will never know for certain what caused my problems, but my guess is that the original update to 10 failed in some manner. In any case, the HP looks and feels like a totally different computer. Aside from the typical concerns about privacy (which doesn't particularly bother me), I can honestly say that Windows 10 now seems to be a decent OS. I still have to try it out for a few days, but as of now, I'm a happy camper!

Time to make a new Macrium image and store it away for the future. :busy:

Thanks again for your help, :)

Cheers all reading this thread--we have a fix!

<<<BBJ>>>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users