Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Regular Script Errors On Some Websites

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 12:31 PM

Problem #1: For ages I have been getting Script Error Message Boxes on some websites but when I close that error window, the page loads fully for me with no lost functionality I can discern. The messages read:

An error has occurred in the script on this page.
Line: (line #)
Char: (character #)
Code: 0
Error: Object Expected

I have repeatedly uninstalled Java in last few months via Add/Remove, and also deleting everything Java from older Java versions. Then downloaded a new copy, but problem persists. All three plugins in D/L Programs show "Installed", size 76 KB. I assume this is correct. I Disabled the Java Plugin for Netscape Navigator as I do not have Netscape on this pc.

Using Admin Rights Account, I have enabled Java access via Start, Set Program Access/Defaults to "enable" Java (which I might add, is unchecked everytime I go back and look there later!). I have enabled Java in Browser, Internet Options, Security, Custom,Enable scription of Java Applets. Under Advanced Use Java is checked. I empty the Java Cache several times a day, along with Temp Internet Files. Javaw.exe and JRE 1.5.0.07.....exe both have Internet Access in McAfee Firewall.

Problem #2: When I attempt to sign out of my MSN Group site, the sign-out screen never comes up (even with all pop-up blockers turned off in browser and on-board security SW) and I get the following error...

Either Javascript is not enabled in your browser or it or some security software is blocking Javascript.

I use SBC/ATT browser, which is modified IE code. But I have gone on-line using Internet Explorer also and these two problems persist no matter which browser I use. HELP! What else can I do/check to resolve these Java related problems? Java site searches were no help as I have already done everything they say to do.

FYI I have WinXP SP2, Avast AV 4.7 and SpywareDoctor 4.0 with all guards on but Cookie Guard and Popup Blocker. If it could be a factor, I make configurations changes with Admin account but surf the net with Limited account. All AV and AS scans I do show my system to be squeaky clean on the malware front.

Edited by buttoni, 22 July 2006 - 04:30 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 22 July 2006 - 02:17 PM

Getting javascript errors has nothing to do with the java runtime environment.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 04:29 PM

OK. Glad you cleared that up for me. Then how do you recommend going about resolving the two specific issues mentioned in my post?
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#4 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:08 PM

OK. Glad you cleared that up for me. Then how do you recommend going about resolving the two specific issues mentioned in my post?

For #1 perhaps in Advanced Internet Options--

http://i5.tinypic.com/20r8rr4.jpg

For #2 perhaps in Security/Internet Zone/Custom Level-

http://i5.tinypic.com/20r8xvd.jpg

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

#5 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. Because this has been a problem for so long, Googling and forum searching had brought me to similar information and I already had all your recommended settings in place except for the "Allow scripting of Web Browser Control". I have now enabled that one item in Int. Options and will see if this helps any. Will let you know. Thanks again for your help.

Edited by buttoni, 23 July 2006 - 03:13 PM.

#6 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:22 AM

Nope, that didn't correct the problems. Any other thoughts out there?

#7 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:33 AM

A screenshot of an error message might help.
With a link to the page it occurs on.

edit-
A quote on errors-

"If you allow the Machine Debug Manager (MDM) to run, it can generate script errors, too. Launch Msconfig from the Start menu's Run dialog and click on the Startup tab. If MDM is on the list, uncheck it and restart."

Edited by medab1, 26 July 2006 - 06:05 AM.

#8 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:06 PM

I checked MSCONFIG and MDM is not running on this machine. Here is the screenshot you asked for:
By the way, I got another script error just going to Imageshack.com to host this pic for you, only difference was that "object expected" error was on line 112 of that page. Like I said before, this doesn't happen when I go to Dell's forum, McAfee's forum, BroadbandDSLReports forum or a multitude of other websites. Only on random sites like these two.

Posted Image

Note: The SBC Browser is Internet Explorer (using modified code, according to SBC).

Edited by buttoni, 26 July 2006 - 01:09 PM.

#9 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:35 AM

I don't know.
Maybe get rid of the browser?

edit-

I searched the Yahoo SBC help files & could find nothing to fix it.
Maybe contact Yahoo SBC help via email for help?

This is a shot in the dark.
Try as in this picture & if the problem persists,you will know if the problem is with the Yahoo browser-

http://i7.tinypic.com/219yj4w.jpg

Edited by medab1, 28 July 2006 - 05:50 AM.

#10 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:54 AM

Well, I "enabled third party browser extensions" and will surf for awhile & see what that does. But so far doesn't seem to be the problem. Since I have recently downloaded the latest script engine from MS, I suspect you're right, it's a quirk/bug in the SBC Browser software. Will try plain Internet Explorer a few times and see if problem exists that way. Fortunately, the web pages getting the errors usually go on an upload and function properly. The popup errors are an annoyance more than anything else. I can certainly live with them if SBC can't help out. Their help pages, as you say, have not addressed this topic. Lord knows, I've looked.

Thank you so much for you suggestions and time spent helping me. You guys here are so much more knowledgeable tham myself in these matters.

Edited by buttoni, 29 July 2006 - 09:55 AM.

#11 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:40 PM

Well, I thought I'd update you and other readers. I talked with SBC and they offered the same suggestions everyone else has, but problem persists. They said that even though their browser modifications piggyback atop Internet Explorer, they said IE does the "driving". They had me try accessing the internet via IE and see if problem recurred & it did. Their last ditch suggestion was to uninstall their browser & reinstall it, but that did nothing. Clearly something is amiss/corrupt in my configuration but it's not enough of an annoyance to reinstall/repair install Windows, which I've never done and don't CARE to do for something so minor, in my opinion. I'll just live with the issue.

Thanks again for your help. :thumbsup:

Edited by buttoni, 02 August 2006 - 08:42 PM.

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:25 PM

Have you checked your security settings for JavaScript? Your security system may be blocking the scripts, as the second part of the error message in part two points out

Either Javascript is not enabled in your browser or it or some security software is blocking Javascript.

Given that the scripting error is occuring regardless of the browser you are using, the answer most likely lies in your security settings especially as you have stated that you have everything blocked except pop-ups and cookies. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with your specific security software. I'm certain that other members do and could help you out with setting information.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 08 August 2006 - 10:25 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#13 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:48 PM

Well, I just yesterday uninstalled my Java Runtime Environment & installed the latest version 1.5.0_08-b03. That didn't resolve the issue. Recently went to MS site and downloaded latest MS Script Engine.

I have is McAFee Firewall 7.1.113 (javaw.exe & java.exe have full access to internet). Do I need to grant permission for some additional file in my firewall setting? Or register some file in the registry?

Also have SpywareBlaster 3.5.1 (all protections enabled) but don't think it has any script blocking capabilities.

These script errors waaaaaaay predate my installation of Spyware Doctor 4.0 (all guards on), so I don't think that program could be the culprit.

I use Avast!Home Free AV, but their Script blocking feature is only in the paid version.

Have checked all script-related items in my Internet Options, Security settings Custom & Advanced settings and cannot see ANY Java/Script items there being blocked. The IE Manage Add-Ons screen shows all three Java plug-ins are enabled, as well as the Sun Java browser extension entry.

A Windows System File Check revealed nothing amiss in my OS files. Like I said, I GIVE UP!

Edited by buttoni, 12 August 2006 - 05:36 PM.

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:08 PM

Does your firewall have privacy settings for specific websites? (My firewall can block all mobile script which would prevent me from even using a 'logout' button). If so, check the privacy settings for the websites in question.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

p.s. I have Java disabled in my browsers and I have no problems with Javascripts acting. The only time I've needed to have Java enabled is when using Panda Online or downloading Windows updates.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 12 August 2006 - 06:09 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#15 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:32 PM

No, McAfee Personal Firewall has no Privacy Settings. Privacy Service is a separate paid product which I used to have, but I uninstalled it due to constant update problems (like updating MOST McAfee products!)

Java has to be enabled for my SBC DSL Browser to work and the problem persists using Internet Explorer, too.

Like I said, I Give Up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users