Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck at user log in screen, safe mode won't work. HELP!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 delazoo

delazoo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:00 PM

hello,

I've searched endlessly on google and various forums but can't find anyone whose had my same problem. I'm running windows 7, and when I power my computer on, I can't get past my user log in screen. I click my profile icon, which appears as normal, but when I do the icon disappears for a few seconds, then re-appears, never prompting me for my password. I've tried rebooting in safe mode, only to return to the same log in screen with the same issue. It's also worth mentioning that my CD drive is jammed shut, so without taking it to a shop, a windows restore with a disk is out of the question for me. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as much such so far has ended up fruitless. 

thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:08 PM

Did the cd-dvd jamming shut and the inability to log in happen about the same hour of the day?  These two things may, or may not, be related.  [added my missing word:  same]

Edited by RolandJS, 12 November 2015 - 04:31 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 delazoo

delazoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:14 PM

They're probably unrelated. Cd drive's been inoperable for years

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:32 PM

What happens if you boot a usb stick or dvd?  I'm fishing for straws, trying to figure out at which point of the post-boot "drive-train" is the failure happening.  What's on the screen may or may not tell us where the failure is.

Edited by RolandJS, 12 November 2015 - 04:54 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 delazoo

delazoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:44 PM

I have only one disk drive, cd/dvd combo. Why do you mean by boot a usb stick?

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:57 PM

For example, several Puppy Linux ISOs "burned" onto a usb flash drive [or pen drive] makes that usb stick bootable in any usb port -- as long as the UEFI or BIOS is told to boot usb device before HD.  Some anti-virus or internet suite programs can make a rescue usb stick that boots from any usb port, again, only if UEFI or BIOS is told to do so.

#7 delazoo

delazoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:41 PM

Unfortunately a little bit beyond my skill set from the sounds of it, do you think you could describe in laymen's how I could go about doing that?

#8 delazoo

delazoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:23 PM

I was able to resolve the problem with a system restore. Turned out the culprit was a windows update that didn't take. Thank you for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users