Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Distorted Display When Playing Videos

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mixttime

mixttime

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:58 PM

I'm not sure what the best way to describe this is but when I have videos open for playback the colors on the entire display get messed up, even if the program with the video is minimized. Green or purple tinting, heavy banding, etc. And the moment I close the video it all goes back to normal. This happens in any browser (such as on YouTube), using HPC-HC player, or in my Roxio editor. At first I thought I messed up my codecs so (after messing around for a while trying to fix it) I used the Win10 "Reset" to essentially reinstall, but obviously here I am.

I tried to take a screen shot to post here, but it came out normal. So I would think the video has to be being processed correctly, but something is being lost on the way to the display. The only oddity in my setup I can think of is that I am presently using a TV as my display instead of a monitor. But I'm not sure how that could create this effect. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:45 AM

Hi mixtime,

What is the Make/Model of the computer giving you this problem?  Is it a Desktop PC or a laptop/notebook?

Did this computer come with W10 or did you upgrade it from an earlier version of Windows (WIN7/8/8.1/8.1.1 or earlier)?  If so, which version? 

I would suggest borrowing a standard LCD flat screen computer monitor from a friend and plugging that in.  If that resolves the problem and it abates, you probably have a problem with your computer's video driver (GPU) syncing with your TV in W10.  That might mean you just need to find the make/model of your GPU card or embedded chip and go to that website, such as NVIDIA, and download the latest driver for that card or chip to your W10 setup.  That will often fix the problem. 

However, if you do the external LCD monitor test, and the problem follows over to the external monitor, you probably have a faulty driver for your GPU card or chip; simply visit the manufacturer's website and download and udpate your video driver.  This should fix it.  If it does not, that could indicate a failure of your GPU card or embedded chip and it must be replaced.  In most instances this requires a new discrete card if it's a desktop PC; if a laptop or notebook you can't replace the GPU chip as it's hardwired in the Motherboard in 99% of the cases so then it must be a Motherboard replacement; $175-$400 and up just for the part, can be up to $1100 more for labor depending on your location if overseas. 

Try these simple tests.  Remember you can buy used LCD monitors in yard sales for under $30, or even in Thrift stores.  Personally, I'd buy a new LCD, you can get them online such as from Tiger Direct for under $100. 

You can also take your TV to a friend or neighbors computer who has W10 running ok with no video coloring issues, and plug in your TV to his computer--if the problem appears on his computer--that TV monitor has failed has caused your problem all along and must be replaced. 

Good luck,

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Edited by BIGBEARJEDI, 13 November 2015 - 12:46 AM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:58 AM

For the longest time I had video artifacts on the TV that I used for a monitor.

Turns out it was a bad HDMI cable that I was using.

Can you see any problem on the computer monitor (when the problem is visible on the TV)?

Also, does it change when you wiggle the connector?  It could be a bad jack - either on the computer, or on the TV

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 mixttime

mixttime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:12 PM

Okay after a bunch of troubleshooting and poking around I finally found what the issue was.

In the Nvidia Control Panel under "Adjust Desktop Color Settings" I found an option I previously overlooked: Content type reported to Display. Apparently you can tell the display if it is a fullcreen video (and it can apply filters to make it pretty) or that it is desktop programs (and should display it as-is). Evidently my TV's filters to try and make things pretty just fail miserably. So switching that from auto detect to desktop programs fixed it.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 24,951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:23 AM

Great find!  Thanks for letting us know - it'll help others who come looking for help with the same problem!

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:54 AM

Nice job there mixy: very kind of you to share your final result with our users.  :grinner:

<<<BBJ>>>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users