Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DirectX install errors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 klear6

klear6

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:38 PM

I believe I need to reinstall direct X on windows 10.  When my screensaver is supposed to run (which I previously had no problems with) it tells me that either (I hve gotten 2 messages) Direct X is not installed, or Direct X Runtime is not functioning properly and a dll is missing. My OS has stopped allowing me to access add or remove programs so I cannot uninstall it.  When I download the install file and try to run it it says I am running a newer version already and an install is not needed.  Even AVG and avast say I have the newest version installed.   I believe this was caused when I tried to install a game on my computer (which I also cannot uninstall without reaching the menu).  The game just flashes which is very  bad because I am epileptic but I assume it is some kind of compatibility issue with my video card or driver and I can't seem to fix it in any way so I need to get rid of it.  My computer says I have the newest drivers and I cannot check the exact specs of my intel series chipset because the checker I downloaded from the intel website will not run in windows 10 (so I cannot properly troubleshoot the game).  Also, when I click the link on the windows website to download directx it just sends me to a page advertising that I should upgrade to windows 10 - which I already have! So I was forced to download it from a third-party site just to hear that I already have it installed so now I need to get rid of their dumb installer program also. So I have a few questions:

1.  Why can't I access my add or remove programs anymore? I hve tried typing it into the search box and the option does appear but when I click on it it sends me to apps and features.  

2.  How do I uninstall this game?  

3.  How do I find out the specs of my video card so I have them for future reference?

4.  Where is the proper link to download direct x from the windows website?

5.  It says I can only access the latest windows 10 version through windows updates directly, but I can't seem to navigate to the option to do so when I open the windows update settings.  
How do I do this?

I feel like I am forgetting one of my questions but I just woke up and am having a very bad day.  Could someone help me please? If windows 10 keeps it up with all the problems I have had, i am going to reinstall 7 and I would rather not be left in the dust when it comes to new features.  Now when I try to run the run-time package it says installation failed.  WHAT is going on here?

Anyone who helps will get a free hug and a cookie.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:35 PM

1.  You should be able to access the old style Programs and Features to add/remove programs through Control Panel.  You can either search for Control Panel, and it should be returned in the results or you can right click on a blank space in your taskbar, select Toolbars from the context menu, and choose Desktop menu.  When you click on the Desktop menu, which will appear at the right side of your task bar just before the System Tray, Control Panel is one of the options.

2.  If it's an installed application program you should be able to do it via Programs and Features in Control Panel.

3   You could use Piriform's Speccy or CPU-Z.

Can't answer number 4 and am not quite understanding what's going on with regard to number 5.

Edited by britechguy, 12 November 2015 - 06:05 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:03 AM

Hi,

Yes, it sounds like you are having multiple problems with Win10.  You're not alone; :smash:  the first week after the July 29th release of W10 we had hundreds of people posting a variety of problems.  1 month later by the end of August we had thousands of people with a plethora of problems. :scratchhead:  

This is certainly nothing new if you've ever done any upgrades on earlier versions of Windows going back to Win3.0.  Upgrades invite problems, for sure, with drivers, programs (apps), as well as many peripheral devices.  If you don't have experience with this process, we computer professionals often recommend a 6-month "debugging" period or waiting period before we recommend to our Customers that they upgrade to the newest version of Windows.  Many of us here like me have been testing W10 for over a year; and your problems are minute compared to how many we uncovered in the Beta releases. 

Not bashing W10 at all; I really like it!  I'm just trying to alleviate some of your frustration. 

I'm going to provide you with a short version fix--for someone who doesn't like to read and investigate first; and then a longer more detailed and complex version fix.

SHORT VERSION FIX:

Stop, and make a backup of all your Personal Data currently on the W10 computer to external media before proceeding!! Many of these repairs can cause irretrievable Data Loss!!!  Next, download the W10 ISO file and create a bootable DVD disc from which you can do a W10 Clean Install.  Attempt this on a separate hard drive, if you don't have one available you should consider purchasing on ebay or amazon.  New drives are under $100.  If your DirectX problem abates, you have some problem such as a bad hard drive on the original computer or a virus/malware that's hiding that you weren't able to detect; these problems carried forward into your W10 upgrade and caused the problem.  Clean Installs on a new physical hard drive will often help you narrow a software problem like this down quickly. 

You option then would be to stick with the newly installed W10 (Clean Install), reinstall all your programs, and restore your backup from external media.  In 2-3 weeks you should be back up and running with your DirectX problem solved!! :grinner:

LONG VERSION FIX:

Here are a couple of posts I did today that may help you with troubleshooting your recently upgraded W10 system.

Post #1: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/596189/cant-install-windows-10-error-code-80004005/

Post #2: use this post to test both your Hardware and your Software in that order: http://windowsforum.com/threads/cursor-cannot-reach-top-of-quick-launch-area.214710/#post-654289

As part of your troubleshooting efforts, it would really be helpful for you to provide us with the EXACT Make/Model of your computer.  Is it a Desktop PC or laptop/notebook?  Is it an OEM PC (Dell, HP, Acer, Samsung, Toshiba, etc.)?  Or is it a self-built PC aka a custom-rig?  Are you the original owner of this computer?  If not, where did you buy the computer?  Online, Yard Sale, Pawn Shop, etc.

Any additional information you can provide such as a SPECCY report or DXDIAG can also help us to figure out why your W10 upgrade has failed and if it's due to a failed hardware component or a software configuration problem such as an outdated driver or a driver that's incompatible with W10 (see my discussions in linked posts above about the MS COMPATIBILITY TEST; BTW, did you remember to run this prior to your W10 upgrade???).

That's a good start.  Let us know answers to these questions and keep us posted.  We will advise you further.

Best of luck, :thumbup2:

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Edited by BIGBEARJEDI, 13 November 2015 - 12:05 AM.

#4 klear6

klear6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:59 PM

I don't particularly mind as MS works out the kinks, I just think I should have been a bit 

better informed as to what I was getting myself into.  I have been using Windows since I was 4, 

back in good ol' Win 3.  I have followed every OS upgrade since then (including 2000 and ME 

which we won't speak of).  They were all full of their own problems but I feel like they were a 

bit more tested before release than Win 10 has been.  I would gladly beta test for microsoft - 

and this is what it feels like - a beta test. For the first time I actually return crash data 

to MS and post regularly in forums.  

Anyways, on to the computer.
Laptop:  Compaq Presario.  
Used to be my mom's; she bought it new at Best Buy some years ago. I did a factory reset as 

soon as she gave it to me, and a fresh install of Windows.  
Processor: Intel Celeron 900@2.20GHz
L2 Cache: 32kb
Memory: 2,048 MB
Motherboard: Hewlett Packard 3612
Video card: Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset (I don't know how to be more detailed about 

the video card because the info tool from intel won't work on windows 10)

According to the install programs I am running something equal to or higher than DirectX 11.
I have 2 ext hard drive I can back everything up on if absolutely necessary.  
I cannot install another internal drive for obvious reasons.  But that would be awesome.  

Yes, I checked to make sure my computer was compatible with Win 10 before installing.  That's 

part of the reason I started using this computer - my netbook wasn't able to handle 10 so I 

wasn't even going to try it.  

I would be happy to learn that I just need to update a driver, but it says all of my drivers 

are up to date.  I haven't had this problem until I installed and "update" of directx that came 

bundled with a game.  I dunno what actually happened with that but I went into overdrive 

looking for viruses and malware and there was nothing to be found by avast or by malware bytes. 

I even checked the external drives and the flash drive I had plugged in when I installed the 

game.  If I could just make whatever mangled remains of DirectX there are still left and 

reinstall it it would probably solve a lot of problems.  

I think the problem here to troubleshoot is how I have a wrecked directx which was fine until I tried installing that software.  The issue isn't whether or not I should be running windows 10 at the moment.  My computer has handled it, bugs and all, and still can - but I need to repair DirectX.  Somehow.  I am reading the links you posted right now and will get back to you with more info when I can.  Also, I am aware that this computer is far from new and that the leading cause of death in old computers is a failing hard drive.  This hard drive is fine.  So are the external ones.  One is brand new and the other one is still trucking - though for that one I don't know how long, it has seen quite a bit of use.  I'm getting off track sorry.  I'll give u more info soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users