Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not booting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jpatjpat

jpatjpat

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:37 PM

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you. :)

I built a pc with all new parts.

After a few months of no problems, while playing a game, the computer suddenly shut off.

Whenever I try to boot it, the fans click on for a fraction of a second, and the "CPU_LED" flashes red. And it does not boot.

Trying to turn it on again results in nothing, and I must switch the PSU off and on again to try again. And the same thing happens.

I thought it might be that the CPU overheated, as I thought I may have done a shoddy job applying aftermarket thermal-paste.

So I bought a new CPU and cpu cooling solution, and didn't mess with the pre-applied thermal paste.

After installing those components, the same thing happens as before.

Before pressing the power-on button, the green power LED on the mobo is on. Then upon trying to boot, the CPU led flashes red and the fans turn on for a fraction of a second.

The same thing happens if I press the "MEM OK" button on the motherboard as well.

System specs:

Motherboard:  ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 7 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

PSU: CORSAIR HXi HX750i CP-9020072-NA 750W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply

CPU:  AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W FD6300WMHKBOX Desktop Processor

CPU cooling:  Corsair Hydro Series™ H100i GTX Extreme Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMY16GX3M2A1866C9R

Graphics: XFX Radeon R9 280X R9-280X-TDFD 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16

SSD:  Crucial MX200 2.5" 500GB SATA 6Gbps (SATA III) Micron 16nm MLC NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CT500MX200SSD1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:43 PM

Please consult the manual for this motherboard to see what the error code means.
Do you get a post screen?
Try removing one stick of ram at a time to see of the system will boot then.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 jpatjpat

jpatjpat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for stopping by.

Nothing shows up on the screen at all. No POST. No signal received by the monitor.

I consulted the manual, and it says that under some circumstances, the motherboard will beep an error code, but there are no beeps at all.

The fans spin for about a tenth of a second. This includes all the chassis fans, the heatsink fans, the graphics card's fans, and the PSU fan. And the CPU led on the motherboard flashes red for the same amount of time.

The onboard power led remains a steadfast green whenever I have the PSU switched on. All other onboard leds(the VGA led, boot device led, and dram led) do not flash or turn on.

The manual says that if an error is found, the corresponding post led will remain lit up until the problem is solved.

The manual says to check the jumper settings and connections or call the retailer for assistance at this point (if nothing shows on screen after 30 seconds).

I made sure all the power cables were firmly plugged into the motherboard, graphics card, the ssd, and PSU. And the ssd with the OS is plugged in correctly.

I tried booting with a single RAM stick, with each of the two. The same sequence of events transpires.

Any other ideas? I'm beginning to think that the motherboard being defective is a possibility now. But I don't know for sure, never had a working computer fail on me so suddenly like this before.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:13 PM

On the motherboard there are four LEDs which indicate the following errors.

asus_zps1riuh6e5.png

Look on the motherboard to see which LED is lit.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jpatjpat

jpatjpat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:26 PM

The CPU_LED flashes once briefly, at the same time the fans turn on and then back off, when I try to power the computer on, but does not remain lit up afterwards.

I am sure it is the CPU_LED from not only the position on the board, but also the printed "cpu led" text on the board next to the light.

Edited by jpatjpat, 13 November 2015 - 12:29 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:36 PM

That's not good.  This means that your integrated incandescent retroreverter has failed. :woot:

No... really, this LED is indicating that there is a problem with the CPU.  This problem is keeping the computer from getting through the POST.

Is the heatsink and fan on the CPU assembly free of dust?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 jpatjpat

jpatjpat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:45 PM

Yes, the liquid cooling system and cpu assembly are free of dust.

I airdusted the system thoroughly before installing a brand new cpu(amd 6300 fx) and liquid cooling system (Corsair Hydro Series™ H100i GTX).

I got the same cpu model as the one I had before, when it was running fine and shut off suddenly after a few months.

Thanks for stopping by :)

Edited by jpatjpat, 13 November 2015 - 12:47 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:54 PM

I wish I had better news for you.  But since the CPU is clean and is using a good cooling system I doubt this is a overheating issue.  This makes this look like a problem with the CPU, at least according to the LED display.

#9 jpatjpat

jpatjpat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for your time.

My current working theory is that it's a motherboard issue. I saw some critical reviews of the mobo on newegg of people having it be dead on arrival or die after a few months.

I would think that if it were a CPU issue, the led would remain lit up, as it says in the manual. But in this case, the led only flashes on once and then back off.

And it's been acting up like this with the old CPU and the new CPU, both fresh compatible CPU's.

I'm going to take steps to get a replacement mobo. I'll return with an update when I've installed a replacement motherboard. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users